3

Shawn Carter,

The next morning, I pulled into my baby mama, Lori's, apartment complex. She was the first girlthat I really tried to be committed to. It worked for a little while, but it's just not me. I feel like it didn't work because we tried to be something after we found out she was pregnant with our baby girl, Shai. Although it didn't, we're still really good friends and we co-parent very well.

I got out my car when I noticed her father's truck. Fuck.

I used the elevator and rode to the second floor. Then approached door 224B and rang the bell. I hid against the wall just as the door opened. As soon as I looked down, a beautiful face with a huge grin on it appeared.

"DADDY!" Shai screamed.

[Shai Carter // 4]

"Wassup, beautiful?" I picked up her and pecked her lips. "How are you?"

"Good." She grinned. "Daddy, my grandparents and my aunties and uncles are in here. Are you gonna fight them, again?"

"No, I'm not. Daddy's sorry," I told her, locking the door.

The 'fight' thing is a long story and I've said my apologies. Her little mind just doesn't forget things. I lost my cool over some bullshit when I shouldn't have. Lori's parent have been all over my ass closely ever since. It's a story for another day, though.

I went around the corner to see her family sitting in her beautiful living room overlooking the city of New York.

 [Lori Harvey // 22 // Shawn's baby mother]

"Hey, how y'all doing?" I asked taking a seat by Lori.

"Good." They spoke dryly.

"How are you, Shawn?" Her mother, Marjorie, asked.

"I'm good, Mrs. Harvey. Thanks for asking!"

Mr. Harvey had yet to say a word to me. The room was way too quiet for my liking. I looked at Lori who was staring at me nervously.

"What?" I asked.