V ; divination and hippogriffs

* * *

            ELARA HAD DIVINATION FIRST. she'd heard some rather odd stories about it from nymphie, but divination slightly correlated with astronomy, so elara figured she'd take her chances. she climbed the last few steps of the tower and emerged onto a tiny landing, where most of the class was already assembled. there were no doors off this landing, but her classmates were making gestures to the ceiling, where there was a circular trapdoor with a brass plaque on it.

             "'sybill trelawney, divination teacher,'" harry read from a few feet behind her. "how're we supposed to get up there?" 

             as though in answer to his question, the trapdoor suddenly opened, and a silvery ladder descended right at his feet. everyone got quiet.

            "after you," said ron, grinning, so harry climbed the ladder first.

            elara climbed up after the first five people had. she emerged into the strangest-looking classroom she'd had ever seen. in fact, it didn't look like a classroom at all, more like a cross between someone's attic and an old-fashioned tea shop. at least twenty small, circular tables were crammed inside it, all surrounded by chintz armchairs and fat little poufs. everything was lit with a dim, crimson light; the curtains at the windows were all closed, and the many lamps were draped with dark red scarves. it was stiflingly warm,and the fire that was burning under the crowded mantelpiece was giving off a heavy, sickly sort of perfume as it heated a large copper kettle. the shelves running around the circular walls were crammed with dusty-looking feathers, stubs of candles, many packs of tattered playing cards,countless silvery crystal balls, and a huge array of teacups.

             "where is she?" ron said.

             a voice came suddenly out of the shadows, a soft, misty sort of voice.

            "welcome," it said. "how nice to see you in the physical world at last." 

            elara's immediate impression was of a large, glittering insect. professor trelawney moved into the firelight, and they saw that she was very thin; her large glasses magnified her eyes to several times their natural size, and she was draped in a gauzy spangled shawl. innumerable chains and beads hung around her spindly neck, and her arms and hands were encrusted with bangles and rings.

            "sit, my children, sit," she said, and they all climbed awkwardly into armchairs or sank onto poufs. elara ended up with parvati patil and lavender brown who were looking at elara like she had sprouted nine heads.