XXXVI ; the second task

* * *

            HARRY INFORMED RON, ELARA, AND HERMIONE THAT HE'D FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. hermione was upset, at first, that harry had lied, but she overcame when harry told them about the conversation between snape and moody. they continued theorizing about who could've put harry's name in the goblet, but as usual, they came up with nothing.

            ron quite liked the idea of using the summoning charm again — harry had explained about some muggle device called aqua-lungs, and ron couldn't see why harry shouldn't summon one from the nearest muggle town. hermione squashed this plan by pointing out that, in the unlikely event that harry managed to learn how to operate an aqua-lung within the set limit of an hour, he was sure to be disqualified for breaking the international code of wizarding secrecy — it was too much to hope that no muggles would spot an aqua-lung zooming across the countryside to hogwarts.

            "of course, the ideal solution would be for you to transfigure yourself into a submarine or something," hermione said. "if only we'd done human transfiguration already! but i don't think we start that until sixth year, and it can go badly wrong if you don't know what you're doing. . . ."

            "yeah, i don't fancy walking around with a periscope sticking out of my head," said harry. "i s'pose i could always attack someone in front of moody; he might do it for me. . . ."

            "what's a submarine?" said ron.

            "yeah, it sounds like its supposed to be an underwater boat, but that's crazy," said elara.

            hermione and harry shared a look before hermione continued.

            "i don't think he'd let you choose what you wanted to be turned into, though," said hermione seriously. "no, i think your best chance is some sort of charm."

            so elara, thinking that she would soon have had enough of the library to last her a lifetime, buried herself once more among the dusty volumes, looking for any spell that might enable harry to survive without oxygen. however, though she, harry, ron, and hermione searched through their lunchtimes, evenings, and whole weekends — though harry asked professor mcgonagall for a note of permission to use the restricted section, and even asked the irritable, vulture-like librarian, madam pince, for help — they found nothing whatsoever that would enable harry to spend an hour underwater and live to tell the tale.

            familiar flutterings of panic were starting to disturb elara now, just like she'd felt before harry faced the dragon in the first task. but at least last time, he knew what he was going to do. now, however, with the second task now two days away, he had nothing.