XXX ; the 2nd hogwarts champion

* * *

            THAT NIGHT, ELARA HAD ONE OF HER WEIRDEST DREAMS. she was running through a maze of sorts, towards a light in the distance. she didn't know why she was running, but she felt has if she just had to get to it. when she reached the glowing blue light, she realized it was the goblet of fire. she reached out to touch it, but before she could, the scene flashed. she was in the great hall, watching as dumbledore stood, shocked, at the goblet.

            the goblet of fire was turning red. sparks were flying out of it. a long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment. as dumbledore reached out for it, elara heard a call.

            it resembled one of a siren. shivers shot down her spine. elara looked around to find the source of the noise, but no one seemed to have acknowledged it. dumbledore was staring at the piece of parchment with an unreadable expression.

            "harry potter," he called.

            the call sounded again. 

            elara shot up out of her bed, panting. her hair had fallen out of its top knot and she had to push it back behind her ear. she frantically reached for her journal on her bedside table and begun to write frantically inside it.

            she was paranoid. harry had been chosen as the second hogwarts champion, and now this undeniable siren call was sounding. 

            elara elected not to tell anyone. today was supposed to be exciting and fun. there was no need to put a damper on the festivities. she woke aspen up so they could watch students put their names into the goblet of fire.

            when they went down into the entrance hall, they saw about twenty people milling around it, some of them eating toast, all examining the goblet of fire. it had been placed in the center of the hall on the stool that normally bore the Sorting Hat. A thin golden line had been traced on the floor, forming a circle ten feet around it in every direction.

            harry, ron, and hermione arrived shortly after.

           "anyone put their name in yet?" ron asked a third-year girl eagerly.

           "all the durmstrang lot," she replied. "but i haven't seen anyone from hogwarts yet."

            they watched as a beauxbatons girl, who looked more like a veela than fleur did, enter the hall and join her group of friends in the corner.

            "bet some of them put it in last night after we'd all gone to bed," said harry. "i would've if it had been me . . . wouldn't have wanted everyone watching. what if the goblet just gobbed you right back out again?"