XIV ; scabbers is a grown man

* * *

             ELARA STOOD STARING IN THE DIRECTION OF HAGRID'S HOUSE. her mind had gone blank with shock. the four of them stood transfixed with horror under the invisibility cloak. the very last rays of the setting sun were casting a bloody light over the long-shadowed grounds. then, behind them, they heard a wild howling. 

            "hagrid," harry muttered. he made to turn back, but elara seized his arm and yanked him back towards her.

            "we can't," said ron, who was paper-white. "he'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

            hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

            "how — could — they?" she choked. "how could they?"

            without thinking much about it, harry slipped his hand into elara's for comfort. elara herself barely noticed; she was so lost in her mind. she felt guilty. draco was her cousin and lucius was her uncle. they caused hagrid so much grief and pain. elara wondered why her family was so cruel.

            "come on," said ron, whose teeth seemed to be chattering.

             they set off back toward the castle, walking slowly to keep themselves hidden under the cloak. the light was fading fast now.

            harry noticed elara had that look on her face. her nose was scrunched and her eyebrows were laced together ever so slightly. he squeezed her hand gently to get her attention.

            "lara, i know that look. this isn't your fault." he said firmly.

            "i know, but -- "

            "no. this isn't your fault."

             elara looked down at the ground but nodded nevertheless. by the time they reached open ground, darkness was settling like a spell around them.

             "scabbers, keep still," ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. the rat was wriggling madly. ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force scabbers deeper into his pocket. "what's the matter with you, you stupid rat? stay still — OUCH! he bit me!"

            "ron, be quiet!" hermione whispered urgently. "fudge'll be out here in a minute —"

            "he won't — stay — put —"

            scabbers was plainly terrified. he was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of ron's grip.

            "what's the matter with him?"