XII ; hermoine's got an arm

* * *

             HERMIONE AND ELARA WERE SEARCHING FOR HARRY AND RON. no matter how pissed the two girls were at them, harry and ron deserved to know. after finding out they weren't in their dorm, the two girls came to the conclusion that harry had in fact gone to hogsmeade again. 

            they had just walked out the portrait hole when they ran into harry and ron, both of whom were looking slightly disheveled and panicked.

            "come to have a good gloat?" said ron savagely as hermoine and elara stopped in front of them. "or have you just been to tell on us?"

            "no," said hermione. she was holding the letter in her hands and her lip was trembling. "we just thought you ought to know... hagrid lost his case. buckbeak is going to be executed."

            "he sent me this," hermione said, holding out the letter.

            dear hermione, 

            we lost. i'm allowed to bring him back to hogwarts. execution date to be fixed. beaky has enjoyed london. 

             i won't forget all the help you gave us. 

             hagrid

            "they can't do this," said harry. "they can't. buckbeak isn't dangerous."

            "uncle lucius frightened the committee into it," said elara. "you know what he's like. they're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. there'll be an appeal, though, there always is. only i don't think it'll do much, they've already made up their minds."

            "yeah, it will," said ron fiercely. "you won't have to do all the work alone this time, hermione. i'll help."

             "oh, ron!"

            hermione flung her arms around ron's neck and broke down completely. ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. finally, hermione drew away.

            "ron, i'm really, really sorry about scabbers..." she sobbed.

            "oh — well — he was old," said ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him."and he was a bit useless. you never know, mum and dad might get me an owl now."

            "only about goddamn time they made up." elara whispered to harry, who cracked a crooked smile.

             the safety measures imposed on the students since black's second break-in made it impossible for elara, harry, ron, and hermione to go and visit hagrid in the evenings. their only chance of talking to him was during care of magical creatures lessons.