LXVIII ; out of the fire

* * *

            "NO, I'M NOT GOING — I'M NOT GOING!"

            elara's head was spinning. harry was gibbering beside her, trying to pull away from professor tofty, who was looking at the both of them with much concern, and who had just helped elara and out into the entrance hall while the students all around them stared.

            "i'm — i'm fine, sir," harry stammered, wiping the sweat from his face. "really . . . i just fell asleep. . . . had a nightmare . . ."

            "me — me too," said elara shakily. "i'm all right."

            "pressure of examinations!" said the old wizard sympathetically, patting Harry shakily on the shoulder. "it happens, it happens! now, a cooling drink of water, and perhaps you will be ready to return to the great hall? the examination is nearly over, but you may be able to round off your last answer nicely?"

            "yes," said harry wildly. "i mean . . . no . . . i've done — done as much as i can, i think. . . ."

            "i finished," lied elara through her teeth.

            "very well, very well," said the old wizard gently. "i shall go and collect your examination paper, and i suggest that you go and have a nice lie down. . . ."

            "we'll do that," said harry, nodding vigorously. "thanks very much."

            elara waited for the second when the old man's heels disappeared over the threshold into the great hall to talk to harry.

            "what did you see?"

            "voldemort was torturing sirius."

            elara blanched.

            "i — i saw someone kill him. harry, we have to stop it. we have too."

            "mcgonagall," said harry.

            they ran up the marble staircase and then more staircases toward the hospital wing, hurtling along the corridors so fast that the portraits they passed muttered reproaches, and burst through the double doors like a hurricane, causing madam pomfrey, who had been spooning some bright blue liquid into montague's open mouth, to shriek in alarm.

            "potter, tonks, what do you think you're doing?"

            "we need to see professor mcgonagall," gasped harry. "now . . . it's urgent. . . ."