XV ; the mauraders

* * *

            ELARA COULDN'T HELP IT. the words that had just came out of black's mouth were so utterly ridiculous that she couldn't believe it. elara stared at lupin and black with a wild look in her eye. a beat of silence later, she snorted so loudly that crookshanks jumped.

            her snort turned into laughter. the five other people in the room looked at her as if she were insane.

            "you -- you've both lost it!" elara managed to choke out through fits of laughter.

           "that's mental," ron agreed with elara, not able to hold back a smirk

            "ridiculous!" said hermione faintly.

            "peter pettigrew's dead!" said harry. "he killed him twelve years ago!" he pointed at black, whose face twitched convulsively.

            elara's laughter had calmed down a tad, but she was still clutching her sides as they now hurt. tears had pooled in her gray eyes and she wiped them away still with a smile gracing her lips.

            "i meant to," black growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

            and crookshanks was thrown to the floor as black lunged at scabbers; ron yelled with pain as black's weight fell on his broken leg.

            "sirius, NO!" lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging black away from ron again, "WAIT! you can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain—"

            "we can explain afterwards!" snarled black, trying to throw lupin off. one hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

           "they've — got — a — right — to — know — everything!" lupin panted, still trying to restrain black. "ron's kept him as a pet! there are parts of it even i don't understand, and harry — you owe harry the truth, sirius!"

            black stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on scabbers, who was clamped tightly under ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

            "all right, then," black said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "tell them whatever you like. but make it quick, remus. i want to commit the murder i was imprisoned for..."