LXXXI ; casanova

* * *

            ELARA, HARRY, AND RON MET HERMIONE IN THE COMMON ROOM BEFORE BREAKFAST NEXT MORNING. it seemed harry was hoping for some support for his theory, as he lost no time in telling hermione what he had overheard draco saying on the hogwarts express.

            "but he was obviously showing off for parkinson, wasn't he?" interjected ron quickly, before hermione could say anything.

            "i already told you, ron," said elara exasperatedly, "draco would most likely cut off his hand before dating parkinson."

            "well," she said uncertainly, "i don't know. . . . it would be like malfoy to make himself seem more important than he is . . . but that's a big lie to tell. . . ."

            "exactly," said harry, but he could not press the point, because so many people were trying to listen in to the conversation, not to mention staring at him and elara and whispering behind their hands.

            "it's rude to point," ron snapped at a particularly minuscule first-year boy as they joined the queue to climb out of the portrait hole. the boy, who had been muttering something about elara and harry behind his hand to his friend, promptly turned scarlet and toppled out of the hole in alarm. ron sniggered.

            "i love being a sixth year. and we're going to be getting free time this year. whole periods when we can just sit up here and relax."

            "we're going to need that time for studying, ron!" said hermione, as they set off down the corridor.

            "yeah, but not today," said ron. "today's going to be a real doss, i reckon."

            "hold it!" said hermione, throwing out an arm and halting a passing fourth year, who was attempting to push past her with a lime-green disk clutched tightly in his hand. "fanged frisbees are banned, hand it over," she told him sternly. the scowling boy handed over the snarling frisbee, ducked under her arm, and took off after his friends. ron waited for him to vanish, then tugged the frisbee from hermione's grip.

            "excellent, i've always wanted one of these."

            hermione's remonstration was drowned by a loud giggle; lavender brown had apparently found ron's remark highly amusing. she continued to laugh as she passed them, glancing back at ron over her shoulder. ron looked rather pleased with himself.

            the ceiling of the great hall was serenely blue and streaked with frail, wispy clouds, just like the squares of sky visible through the high mullioned windows. while they tucked into porridge and eggs and bacon, elara, harry, and ron told hermione about their embarrassing conversation with hagrid the previous evening.