XXXII ; the first task

* * *

            ELARA, HARRY, AND HERMIONE SPENT THE ENTIRETY OF SUNDAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO KEEP HARRY ALIVE. they poured over book after book to no avail. hermione forced them to leave the library (crazy, right?) when viktor krum showed up so they could work without hearing his fan club giggling over him. 

            elara barely slept that night. she dreamed of a dragon that strongly resembled her patronus and a robe ripping as a spike came in contact with someone on a broom, and worse of all, lots of blood.

            she and hermione were in herbology, wondering where harry had gone. hermione was afraid he was in trouble, and elara was afraid harry had gotten a detention or something. he burst in thirty minutes later. for the first time since he found out about the dragons, harry had a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

            "lara, hermione," harry whispered, when he had sped into greenhouse three minutes later, uttering a hurried apology to professor sprout as he passed her. "help — i need you to help me."

            "what d'you think we've been trying to do, harry?" hermione whispered back, her eyes round with anxiety over the top of the quivering flutterby bush she was pruning with the help of elara.

            "i need to learn how to do a summoning charm properly by tomorrow afternoon."

            and so they practiced. they didn't have lunch, but headed for a free classroom, where harry tried with all his might to make various objects fly across the room toward him. he was still having problems. the books and quills kept losing heart halfway across the room and dropping like stones to the floor.

           "harry, you have to concentrate," said elara, trying to keep her voice steady.

            "what d'you think i'm trying to do?" said harry angrily. "a great big dragon keeps popping up in my head for some reason. . . . okay, try again. . . ."

            harry and elara skipped divination to keep practicing, but hermione refused point-blank to skive off arithmancy. harry kept practicing and practicing to the point where he started getting the wand movements wrong. elara had to correct him by placing her hand on his and moving the wand, but that seemed to throw harry more.

            "why don't we get something to eat?" elara suggested when she heard harry's stomach growl.

            instead of going to the feast, they ventured to the kitchens to gather as much food as they can. arms full of snacks and drinks, they returned to the empty classroom and began practicing again. hermione joined them not long after, and helped herself to a bag of pretzels. they kept practicing until past midnight. they would have stayed longer, but peeves turned up and, pre- tending to think that harry wanted things thrown at him, started chucking chairs across the room. harry, elara, and hermione left in a hurry before the noise attracted filch, and went back to the gryffindor common room, which was now mercifully empty.