LXIV; patronuses

* * *

            AS A DULL MARCH BLURRED INTO A SQUALLY APRIL, ELARA'S LIFE SEEMED TO HAVE BECOME ONE LONG SERIES OF WORRIES AND PROBLEMS AGAIN. elara had not seen anya since that night, her visions had started to become shorter and more vivid; she had seen the quidditch pitch on fire and collapsing, but in an instant, it was normal again. she had not been able to talk to dumbledore. no matter how many books were read, nothing was found on 'praedo malorum'. her detentions kept increasing, her hand hurt, she hated umbridge. harry was moodier than usual and would only talk about his own visions unless prompted. the only good thing to come out of all this for elara was their long talks in the common room after everyone had gone to bed.

            they talked about anya, their visions, the war firenze alluded to, lessons, ways to get at umbridge, what they think the future'd turn into, and if everything didn't go to shit, what'd they'd like to do after leaving hogwarts. usually, the talks would end in them falling asleep on the couch by the fire.

            meanwhile, as the teachers and hermione persisted in reminding them, the o.w.l.s were drawing ever nearer. all the fifth years were suffering from stress to some degree, but hannah abbott became the first to receive a calming draught from madam pomfrey after she burst into tears during herbology and sobbed that she was too stupid to take exams and wanted to leave school now.

            if it had not been for the d.a. lessons, elara thought she would have been relatively unhappy. she sometimes felt that she was living for the hours she spent in the room of requirement, working hard but thoroughly enjoying herself at the same time, swelling with pride as she looked around at her fellow d.a. members and saw how far they had come. indeed, elara sometimes wondered how umbridge was going to react when all the members of the d.a. received "outstanding" in their defense against the dark arts o.w.l.s.

            "we're finally going to practice the patronus charm today," said elara jovially, clapping her hands together.

            they cheered as everybody had been very keen to practice.

            "thanks to multiple requests from fred, george, and rori, i'll cast a patronus, but mainly so you can see what they look like, the incantation, and the wand movement."

            elara drew her wand and focused on her favorite memory. christmas day was the first in her mind. getting adopted, apologizing to the long bottoms, harry finally confessing he fancied her too, and her first kiss. an undeniable smile spread across her face.

            "expecto patronum!"

            a large and powerful hungarian horntail erupted from the tip of her wand. it flew around the room of requirement, opening its mouth to breath silvery fire. everyone ooh'd and stared at the magnificent patronus until it finally came to a stop at elara. the horntail bowed its head and dissipated.