VI ; worst fears

* * *

            PROFESSOR LUPIN WASN'T THERE WHEN ELARA ARRIVED AT THE FIRST DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS LESSON. everyone sat down, took out their books, quills, and parchment, and were talking when he finally entered the room. lupin smiled vaguely and placed his tatty old briefcase on the teacher's desk. he was as shabby as ever but looked healthier than he had on the train, as though he had had a few square meals. 

            "good afternoon," he said. "would you please put all your books back in your bags. today'swill be a practical lesson. you will need only your wands."

            a few curious looks were exchanged as the class put away their books. they had never had a practical defense against the dark arts class before, unless you counted the memorable class last year when their old teacher had brought a cageful of pixies to class and set them loose.

             "right then," said professor lupin, when everyone was ready. "if you'd follow me."

             puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed professor lupin out of the classroom. he led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where the first thing they saw was peeves the poltergeist, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

            peeves didn't look up until professor lupin was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song.

             "loony, loopy lupin," peeves sang. "loony, loopy lupin, loony, loopy lupin —"

            rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers. everyone looked quickly at professor lupin to see how he would take this; to their surprise, he was still smiling.

             "i'd take that gum out of the keyhole if i were you, peeves," he said pleasantly. "mr. filch won't be able to get in to his brooms."

            filch was the hogwarts caretaker, a bad-tempered, failed wizard who waged a constant war against the students and, indeed, peeves. however, peeves paid no attention to professor lupin's words, except to blow a loud wet raspberry.

             professor lupin gave a small sigh and took out his wand.

             "this is a useful little spell," he told the class over his shoulder. "please watch closely."

             he raised the wand to shoulder height, said, "waddiwasi!" and pointed it at peeves.

            with the force of a bullet, the wad of chewing gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down peeves's left nostril; he whirled upright and zoomed away, cursing.