XCI ; moderation

* * *

            "SO, ALL IN all, not one of Ron's better birthdays?" said Fred. 

            It was evening; the hospital wing was quiet, the windows curtained, the lamps lit. Ron's was the only occupied bed. Elara, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny were sitting around him; they had spent all day waiting outside the double doors, trying to see inside whenever somebody went in or out. Madam Pomfrey had only let them enter at eight o'clock. Fred, George, and Aurora had arrived at ten past. 

            "This isn't how we imagined handing over our present," said George grimly, putting down a large wrapped gift on Ron's bedside cabinet and sitting beside Ginny. 

            "Yeah, when we pictured the scene, he was conscious," said Fred. 

            "There we were in Hogsmeade, waiting to surprise him —" said George. 

            "You were in Hogsmeade?" asked Ginny, looking up. 

            "We were thinking of buying Zonko's," said Aurora gloomily. "A Hogsmeade branch, you know, but a fat lot of good it'll do us if you lot aren't allowed out at weekends to buy our stuff anymore.. . . But never mind that now." 

            Fred drew up a chair beside Elara and looked at Ron's pale face. 

            "How exactly did it happen, you two?" 

            Elara and Harry retold the story they had already recounted, it felt like a hundred times to Dumbledore, to McGonagall, to Madam Pomfrey, to Hermione, and to Ginny. 

            ". . . and then I got the bezoar down his throat and his breathing eased up a bit, Slughorn ran for help, McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey turned up, and they brought Ron up here," said Elara.

            "They reckon he'll be all right. Madam Pomfrey says he'll have to stay here a week or so . . . keep taking essence of rue . . ." finished Harry, staring at Ron's face.

            "Blimey, it was lucky you thought of a bezoar, Lara," said George in a low voice. 

            "Lucky there was one in the room," said Elara, who kept turning cold at the thought of what would have happened if she had not been able to lay hands on the little stone.