II

I woke up a bit before sunrise and instantly called my nan

I woke up a bit before sunrise and instantly called my nan. She gave me all the details for my flight that was set to board at 11:20 that day. I finished packing the rest of my belongings. i couldn't fit everything i wanted but i had to make the sacrifice to leave a few things behind. after a while of being up in my room, i decided to go downstairs to pick up some extra clothes that may be left in the laundry. I looked around, trying to find my dad who was in fact nowhere to be found but instead found dozens of empty beer bottles laying littered on the floor. i sat myself on one of the kitchen chairs, my elbows propped up on the counter. My heart pumped steadily at the fact i was leaving. i couldn't tell if a part of me was relived i could finally escape my father or if a part of me felt guilty for leaving him behind.

while going back to my room, i opened the small draw beside my bed and found some Polaroids laying neatly in the corner. I grabbed them and inspected the three small pictures. my eyebrows furrowed at them, not remembering when these were taken. One picture was of me and my mates; Julia, Austin, holly, Chris and Hayden. It was us sitting around a bomb fire down at the beach roasting marshmallows and sipping on drugstore bear. my heart throbbed at the thought of leaving them. The next photo was of me and Hayden. i don think either of us wanted to admit our feelings for eachother but they were there. he was just the type of person anyone could go to and he instantly made your life feel like it had purpose. i was up on the back, his hands holding me up by my thighs. we were happy in the photo. i kissed his cheek while hayden's faced was scrunched up at the sloppy kiss. The last photo i held was me holding my favourite surfboard. I loved to surf. Every morning I would go down to the beach and surf some waves before anyone was there. It was like my safe place. No one could do anything to  me while I was out there in the water. just me and the dolphins. my happy place that i was definitely going to miss.

I quickly grabbed the Polaroids and stuffed them in my pocket. I took my suitcase and my bags that sat next to my door and walked out. Before I left I went into my dads room and searched through his walk in closet. I remembered my mum saying that she had saved some money up for my university funds in a small box in her closet. what she didn't mention is how hard she hid it. It was a small yellow box with flowers printed on it. I opened it and found an envelope, stacked to the brim with cash. there must have been a good couple thousand in there, enough to last me a while. without hesitating, I shoved the envelop in my bag, walking out of the room.

It was only eight in the morning and still had loads of time before my flight as i didn't live too far from the airport. I decided I would go down and say goodbye to my mates for the last time. they didn't know i was leaving so this would definitely come as a shock to them. As I walked down the street I took in the surroundings realising how much i would miss Australia. All the beautiful nature, the beach of course, and just overall Sydney itself. I loved living here so much and it saddened me to leave it behind.

I made my way to Austin's house as it was only a block away from my house. everyone normally just hangs out there so I figured  everyone would have already made their way there. I walked up to the door and rang the door bell. Shortly after Austin answered the door. "Amelia" he said looking at my luggage then back at me "going on a trip?" He joked.

I sighed seeing his eyebrows furrow in confusion " I'm leaving for Oklahoma in a few hours"

Austin laughed. "You're hilarious mate, get inside we're having toasties"

I walked in to see everyone huddled around the kitchen, furrowing their eyebrows at me. "what's going on?" Hayden stated in confusion, placing a cheese toastie on a plate.

"She's just crackin a joke Hay, get a grip" Austin chuckled, but no one else was laughing. I stood there, luggage in hand while i could feel the tears brimming my eyes.

"I don't think shes jokin..." Holly whispered as she walked over to me.

"I don't want to leave any of you but i don't think theres any more options left for me". a light sob escaped my lips, holly enveloping me in her arms. She brought me over to the kitchen, sitting me down on a stool while the tears just flowed. I explained my situation to them. told them why i had to leave. they protested, saying i could stay with them instead, that i didn't have to leave the country. a part of me believed that, that i could just stay here and manage on my own. but we all new i couldn't just couch surf for the rest of my life. i needed a break, a fresh start away from all this. even if that meant moving across the world. "look i promise, ill visit every holidays and ill keep in contact with you guys at least 20 time a day" They all chuckled, but no one was really happy about this.

"i think one last thing is in order before you leave.." Julia stated as a smile crept up on everyones face. we all rushed down the hill, sand filling the gaps of our toes, feeling the warmth of the hot sun. as i got closer and closer to the water i could smell the cool breeze of salty air. the way the water engulfed me as my body connected with the ocean sent a wave of bliss throughout my veins. this is were my soul belonged, but my heart longed for something more, to get away. to flee this hell i was trapped in and find peace.

soon after our little surf session we all made it back to Austins house, warming up before i had to leave. i said my goodbyes as tears were shed and hugs were exchanged. nothing could ever prepare me for leaving my friends. they held such a hug place in my heart and leaving them felt like a part of me had been lost.

Hayden had pulled me outside, offering to drive me to the airport but we both knew that it would just make it harder for us to say goodbye. "are you sure you have to leave...everything you have is here you can just-"

"Hayden" i stopped him by placing a hand on his cheek, feeling the heat on his face. "i have to go. we both know that"

His gaze softened as he leant into my touch, his eyes shutting for a moment as he embraced my embrace. "i'm going to miss you like hell" He chuckled making me giggle slightly, a teardrop falling from my eyes. His thumb wiped it clean before he grazed my cheek bone. My heart picked up at the sudden silence that fell between us and i could tell he was nervous as-well. before he could change his mind, his lips latched on to mine while both his hands cupped my cheeks. my hands found their way around his neck, my fingers tangling within his brown curls. He shortly after pulled away from the kiss as he rested his fore head on mine, lips plump and red, a part of me left on his lips. "I love you so much Amelia.."

"I love you Hayden"

————————————————————————

🥲rip- here lies Hayden and Amelias relationship that last a whole 30 seconds...