XXXVIII

We made it to the drag race arena

We made it to the drag race arena. Soda parked his car near the race line, ready to go. We both hoped out, soda Opening the door for me like the gentleman he was. The race wouldn't start for another 20 mins so we had a while to spare. "Do you wanna go up the bar and restaurant area" soda asked holding my hand as we walked up. "Yeah sure" I smiled, wrapping my arms around his.

We walked up to the restaurant and bar area, instantly locking eyes with the familiar faces sitting across the room. Soda tensed up, pulling me closer to him. The four familiar faces started walking up towards us making me flinch a little. "Well well we'll, what do we have here, a greaser and his hot girlfriend" bob smirked, looking me up and down making me uncomfortable. "Back off bob" soda said clenching his jaw. "No you back off man" randy scoffed stepping closer to us. "What are yous doing here" I said, biting the inside of my cheek. "Well I heard sodapop here was racing tonight so why not tag along" bob smirked crossing his arms in amusement while the rest of his little posè laughed a bit. I tensed up at the thought of bob and his guys racing against soda. There was no way that they were gonna put up a fair fight, they were definitely planning something, without a doubt.

After talking to bob and his friends, me and soda finally said our goodbyes and made our way into the bar. We sat at a small table in the corner. I ordered watermelon smoothie and soda just got a Pepsi. Soda seemed nervous after our encounter with the socs and I could see it in his body language. "Hey don't worry about them, if you want I can come in the car with you" I smiled grabbing his hands across the table. "Are you sure what about your wrist it still hasn't completely healed" he said worryingly. "It's okay, I'm sure it will be fine" I smiled reassuringly. "I just don't want you getting hurt" soda said looking down. "I won't be able to ever forgive myself if something happened to you" he muttered. I lifted up his chin with my index finger, looking into his piercing blue eyes. "Hey, as long as I'm with you, nothing will happen, I promise" I smiled pecking his cheek making his movie star smile reappear on his face.

We finished up our drinks before an announcement was over heard on the speakers. "Drag racers, please make your way down to the race grounds in 5 minuites" the speakers boomed. Soda grabbed my hand, leading me out the bar and towards his car.

"That's weird, I thought I had closed my window before we left for the bar" soda said walking over to the drivers side, the window wide open. "Maybe you just forgot" I said opening the car door and hopping in. Soda brushed it off and got in the car, starting the engine. We pulled up to the race track, meeting all the other contestants, taking part in the race. Of course bob and his crew were there smirking when they saw us. "Alright let me go over the rules for the race" the judge said holding a piece of paper in his hands. "Number 1, absolutely no cheating of any sort or you will be disqualified. Number 2, you must wear protective gear while racing and lastly, you must have drag racing licence or you are not permitted to drive" the judge said.

The contestants all showed their licenses and put on their gear before starting the race. I was attempting to put on one of the jump suits for the race when soda giggled in the corner watching me trip all over the place. "You need some help" he laughed. "Ugh yes" I sighed. He walked over to me helping me pull the jumpsuit on and my helmet. "You look so cute in that" soda smirked at me. "You look pretty cute aswell" I smiled. "I am not 'cute' " he defended making me laugh.

After getting ready for the race we hopped in the car, waiting for the race to start. People all gathered around the sides of the race track cheering us all along. I looked over to the side to see bob and his guys smirking at me. I rolled my eyes before turning back to the front rolling up my window. "3...2....1....go!!" The person said infornt of us, blowing the horn. Soda slammed down on the pedals, speeding off. Everything was going good, soda was infront of everyone, taking the lead. The socs were tailing us trying to run us off the race track. I started to worry a little of how close they were. Soda noticed how anxious I was getting and started to speed up the car, loosing the socs for a minute.

We were coming around a corner, soda going pretty fast. The corner consisted of a sharp turn which seemed pretty dangerous, but this whole race was dangerous so. We were getting closer and closer to the finish line. After turning the corner there was about a few metres before coming to the finish line. As soda started to turn the corner, he tried slamming on his brakes so we wouldn't tumble off the road, but they weren't working. Worry filled sodas face as he attempted slamming on the brakes a few more times, nothing happening. The socs were tailing right behind us before eventually hitting the back of the car, making our car slide off the dirt road, approaching a large tree. My heart started to speed up, noticing what was gonna happen. Soda placed his arm across my chest, trying to prevent me to fly out the windshield in front of me. I grabbed his shoulder pulling him back before we slammed into the large tree, making us both jolt forward. I remember hearing soda scream my name and a bunch of yelling from people I didn't know before blacking out to a loud beeping sound in my ear. Then everything went dark.

————————————————————————