CHAPTER 40

It was late afternoon when Koray arrived back home. The minute he stepped into the large foyer, one of the maids came scurrying out, astonished to see him there.

"We were not expecting you back, Master Koray. Would you like anything to eat or drink?"

"Where's my father, Elsa? And how many times do I have to tell you to drop the 'master' when he is not around?"

The young girl blushed. "He's in his office, Mas – I mean, Koray."

"Alone?"

"Yes, Sir," and at Koray's amused expression, "Sorry."

Koray walked to his father's office, ready to fight him. He had worn the pendant under his shirt and felt protected. It was like having Lorien's arms around his neck, just before their lips would meet...

"Koray! What the hell are you doing here?" He had not realised his father had come out of the office.

"I need to talk to you, Father." The older man huffed and walked back into the room.

"I hope this is important considering you should be at school taking care of your sculptures. And I have a meeting out of town in two hours. I must leave soon."

"Oh, don't worry, Father. This won't take long. I just wanted you to know that your game is up. Rylan told me everything. How you manipulated him, making him think he would be with Auryn. How you made him spy on me and give you reports on what I was doing. How was it? Did you meet daily? Monthly? Weekly?

"Couldn't you face me, Father? Were you afraid of asking me what I was doing? Do you think you could have influenced my choices or changed who I am by plotting behind my back? Do you know he was harming Auryn?" His eyes narrowed as he tried hard not to raise his voice.

"The boy was always weak, it's not my fault he got into a bad circle, doing drugs and drinking. And I didn't know an offspring of mine would be so weak as to seek help using such things as well."

"Your offspring," Koray spat out, "took those pills from him because she trusted him, I trusted him. But all these years he's been nothing but a puppet and you were pulling the strings. I will gladly let you know that your plan to destroy my chance at love worked. And you might want to change the lease on the apartment in New York for eternity as I never plan to set foot in this house again."

Koray started walking towards the door. He turned back.

"Except if anything happens to the ones I love. Coz if they are hurt, I will personally return to take my revenge on you." And with those words he was gone, leaving an ice-cold void behind him.

~~~~~

"Still nothing from either of them."

"Auryn?"

"Sleeping right now."

"Why don't you try to rest too?"

"Thank you, Ty, but I'd rather stay close to Auryn in case she wakes up."

"I love you," Ty whispered, giving Melia a chaste kiss on her forehead.

"Love you too. You're the best," she smiled up at him, kissing his chin.

"Wilford is still pacing outside. Poor guy keeps thinking this is all his fault."

"As if... I think it took a lot of courage to do what he did. And thank heavens he is so attentive to others."

"Come here," Ty held her hand and walked towards the couch. They both sat down and Melia put her head on his shoulder. "There, relax a bit."

"Mmm, this is so nice," Melia whispered. "I hope both boys are okay."