CHAPTER 44

Koray had to return to school the next day, especially since he had to make sure all his artwork was prepared to be shipped the following week. Although it was hard for both, the lovers had agreed that Koray would spend the weekends with Lorien and return to school on Mondays.

~~~~~

It took ten days for Rylan to get strong enough to be brought back from his unconscious state and all his friends were outside, waiting for news from the doctors. When the door to his room finally opened, they all held their breath.

"Your friend is still very weak but he is out of danger," the doctor began. "He is extremely lucky. His survival is nothing short of a miracle. The operation on his lungs was successful and his leg is healing. He will have to be in a cast for at least eight weeks and will have to undergo physiotherapy. There is a high chance that he will always walk with a limp but, on the whole, that is a small thing. He could have lost that leg." All breathed a collective sigh of relief.

"Can we see him?" Ty asked.

"Actually, he asked for two of you for now – Lorien and Wilford? He is still very tired and needs to rest so I will allow five minutes each. He asked to see you separately. In the meantime, Mr Lun, could I have a word with you please?"

Lorien looked at Koray who hugged him quickly before walking with the doctor to sit round a small table in the corner of the waiting room. Lorien opened the door and walked in. Rylan turned to look at him and tears filled his eyes.

"I didn't think you would want to see me," he said slowly, his voice hoarse, each word spoken with effort.

"Why would you think that? I want you to get better and you will, Rylan. We'll be here to help you."

"Actually, I'm going away once I get rid of this," he pointed at the cast. "The doctor told me of a clinic that can help me with my addictions. They offer support and counselling and, once I complete the programme, they will help me find a job."

"That's great to hear, Rylan. Hey, listen, you still have my number, don't you? I want us to keep in touch."

"They won't let me contact anyone during the six months I'm in the clinic. But if you're sure, maybe once I'm out..."

"Of course, I'd love to."

"So, you're going to the States with Koray?"

"Yes I am."

"Must be great..." he closed his eyes.

"What is?"

"Loving someone who loves you back."

"It is," Lorien felt his heart constrict, "and you will find your true love, Rylan. Just concentrate on getting better, okay?"

"Yeah, thanks. Can you ask Wilford to come in?"

"Sure. We'll come back later." Lorien took his friend's hand in his and, after squeezing it gently, he left the room, asking Wilford to go in. Koray was just finishing his talk with the doctor, as they both got up, shook hands and Koray made his way to Lorien.

"Shall we go?" Koray asked.

"Sure." They both approached their friends to say goodbye, Koray hugged his sister and Melia hugged Lorien.

"We're off," Koray said to Ty. "I'll be with Lorien tonight and will return to school tomorrow."

"Okay, be safe."

"Yeah, you too."

As they walked towards the car, Lorien looked at his boyfriend who was looking steadily ahead of him.