CHAPTER 42

As Lorien felt himself reaching a conscious level, he was afraid to move, afraid to open his eyes. What if it was all a dream? And yet, he could hear a steady heartbeat right beneath his ear as the soft rise and fall of Koray's chest lulled his head gently up and down. He pressed his cheek closer against his boyfriend's warm skin and moved his hand just to hug him closer. And that was when he felt the rough material of the gauze under his fingers. He opened his eyes and looked at Koray's beautiful sleeping face. He was really here, in his arms, in his bed. It had not been a dream. He looked down to Koray's side where the gauze was, and he removed it ever so slowly, not wanting to hurt or wake Koray up.

He winced as he saw the angry rash, skin broken and traces of where his lover had bled. Without thinking, he placed his hand over the affected skin, closed his eyes and breathed deeply. The warmth in his chest was instantaneous and it slowly spread down to his fingertips sending a tingling sensation where it travelled. After a few minutes, the tingling stopped and Lorien removed his hand to see Koray's honey-toned skin and his distinguished birthmark.

"You did that once before, didn't you?" Koray said softly, yet with a deep morning voice that made Lorien think of the ocean. He looked up lovingly right into his boyfriend's eyes, before he moved his head down and brushed his lips against the crescent-shaped mark. He planted soft kisses and smiled as he felt Koray's breath hitch.

"Keep doing that and you won't be able to leave the bed."

"Who said I want to leave?"

Koray smiled at that as his fingers reached Lorien's hair and he raked through his boyfriend's locks.

"You're so beautiful," he said, "and your hair with these fiery strands is making me go crazy."

"They're still there?" Lorien asked as he moved up to peck Koray on the lips.

"Yes, and I hope they never go away."

"You hungry? I could prepare something quickly."

"Thank you, Darling, I'm ravenous."

"Why don't you take a shower and come back to bed? I'll be back soon." Lorien got up slowly, throwing on a robe. "I'll find you something to wear while I throw your clothes in the wash." As he spoke, he looked out the window to see a clear blue sky. He could hear birds chirping and signs of life as the outside world took care of its daily business.

He went to the kitchen, prepared a pot of coffee and decided to make the pasta he never managed to do the day before. As he was about to drain the pasta, Koray came in, hair still wet, wearing one of Lorien's tee-shirts and a pair of gym pants.

"Thought I'd give you a hand," he said.

"I just need to drain the linguine and heat up the sauce -"

"I'll do that – go on and take a nice warm shower. I'll have it all plated by the time you're done."

"Thanks." Lorien kissed him again and was gone. Koray could not believe he was here, could not believe what happened last night, or rather earlier that day. He looked at the clock and was surprised to see it was past one in the afternoon.

Memories flooded his mind – every touch, every kiss. He did not want to forget how Lorien felt in his arms as he held him, loved him, how they spoke without uttering a word.

He went about plating the food and was grating some Parmesan he found in the fridge, when Lorien came back, again in his bath robe.

"Feeling lazy today," he smiled as he sat down. "There's some red wine if you want. I also feel like celebrating."