Chapter 6 : Suffering

Midoriya lands backwards onto Bakugou, his blood quickly soaking into the blonde's shirt. Bakugou let's out a scream, a strangled cry for help. For he still cannot move and his childhood friend is lying atop of him with a fatal wound.

Stain looks disappointed, he hit the wrong target. And although he does wish to finish the job, he can hear footsteps approaching them so he quickly leaves - abandoning the helpless teenagers.

They lie there for a little, Bakugou in absolute despair as he watches all the blood drain from Midoriya's face. He can't move to help the boy; he can't even hold him. It's a painful time, but Midoriya continues smiling. Proud that he saved Bakugou, even if it was at the cost of his life.

Bakugou finally regains feeling and turns Midoriya around to see his face with blood dripping down his temple and dull eyes. Midoriya tries his best to show a smile with the little strength he has left. And this makes Bakugou cry even harder, he clutches Midoriya tightly.

'You're so stupid! Why would you do that?! Why did you save me?!' He screams. 'YOU'RE SO FUCKING STUPID DEKU! I HATE YOU!'

Midoriya smiles slightly at the insults but can hear the truth behind it. Why did you hurt yourself for me? Why didn't you run when you could've? Why did you choose to save me? Midoriya reaches his hand up slightly to Bakugou's face to wipe away a tear.

'I couldn't watch you die Kacchan.' He whispers, 'I... had to save you.'

Bakugou screams even louder. 'HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK OF SAVING ME! WHAT AM I MEANT TO DO NOW, HUH? Y-YOU CAN'T-' his voice cracks. '...y-you can't leave m-me like this. Please D-Deku... d-don't leave me.' Midoriya keeps a soft smile on his face as blood escapes from his lips, dribbling down his chin.

'I-I won't Kacchan. I promi...'

Midoriya's voice feels like it's miles away, just a soft whisper. His eyes begin to close, the energy draining his body and mind going blank. '..promise.' Is the last thing that leaves Midoriya's lips before everything turns black.

・・・

Todoroki hears a cry that sounds as though it's came from a strangled animal. Kirishima's face pales as he realises the tone of that helpless cry.

Bakugou.

'Fuck!' Kirishima yells, rushing down the alleyway with Todoroki hot on his heels. 'BAKUGOU!' He screams, hoping that the boy will hear him and know everything's okay, they're going to save him.

But when they enter the alleyway they see Bakugou, clutching a lifeless Midoriya in his arms whilst balling. 'WAKE UP DEKU!' He screams, 'FUCKING GET UP!' But Midoriya lies still, a peaceful smile on his face and closed eyes.

The two rush over instantly. 'MIDORIYA!' Todoroki screams, kneeling beside the boy. Kirshima joins him, pale in shock. Their classmate, the little sunshine of 1A is now lying within a pool of his own blood, unconscious. Todoroki tries to lift Midoriya away from Bakugou but he gets shoved away.

'Don't fucking touch him!' Bakugou screams, protective over the injured green-head. He keeps shaking Midoriya, screaming as he keeps getting no answer. Kirishima has tears in his eyes at seeing his best friend in so much agony, tears pouring down Bakugou's cheeks as he struggles to accept that Midoriya is dying.

'I need to check his pulse and get him help Bakugou! If we don't do something now then he will-'

Bakugou reaches his arm out and wraps it around Todoroki's neck, slightly applying pressure. His eyes are raging, fires flaring inside his orbs. 'Don't say it.' He warns snarling at him. Midoriya had promised him that he wouldn't leave. He had said it to Bakugou with the last of his energy. There's no way Midoriya was going to leave Bakugou. Because, he never breaks a promise.

Todoroki looks at him unfazed and removes Bakugou's hand from his throat. 'Fine,' he agrees, glaring back. 'But, we still need to get him help and that's final.'

'I've called for an ambulance and Mr Aizawa is on his way.' Kirishima cuts in, feeling utterly helpless. There isn't a lot one can do within this situation. Bakugou won't let anyone touch Midoriya and there's no one with proper medical training to treat Midoriya anyways. They just have to wait for help.

Bakugou can't think straight. All he can remember was Midoriya's small smile, his little voice as he whispered 'It's okay Kacchan, I saved you.'

Memories of the past flashes behind his eyes. Young Midoriya following behind him, praising Bakugo on how cool his quirk was. Midoriya sitting at a desk in middle school, tongue showing as he scribbles down notes. The way he cried when Bakugo threw his book out the window. Desperation painted on his face when he tried to save Bakugo from the slime villain. How his eyes would light up every time Bakugou showed the smallest amount of kindness towards him.

He was always there, no matter what. Every memory, Midoriya was hiding somewhere in the background. He never left Bakugou, even after all he put him through.

Bakugou hugs Midoriya tighter, sobbing silently into the boy's chest. 'I-I still need you Deku...' he whispers, voice muffles. 'I still h-have to beat y-you... I s-still need you t-to see me be number o-one.' His voice is shaky.

'I s-still need t-to tell you how s-sorry I am.'