Chapter 45 : Familar

Whether it was labeled kidnapping or not, Todoroki had technically agreed to commit a crime. After all these weeks of being stuck at home, Midoriya had begged for his friend to help him break out. And so, being the weak-hearted person Todoroki was, he gave in instantly.

It was a Monday morning, Inko had left for work, leaving her son with a string of prepared meals for him to enjoy throughout the day. As Midoriya watched his mother's car leave the apartment parking lot, his plan went into action.

He texted Todoroki their code, a simple thumbs up that could be mistaken as a reply to their previous conversation. But one could never be so careful when assuming, especially when Midoriya was the mastermind of his own kidnapping.

A few minutes later, Todoroki arrived at the Midoriya residence, knocking their secret pattern in which Midoriya had made up the night before. This way, Midoriya would know whether it was his partner in crime or the mail man delivering his expected All Might package.

Despite not feeling the same infatuation for All Might as his supposed previous self did, Midoriya had been trying to readapt back to his old mannerisms to see if he could spark a memory. Hence, him spending his life savings on a figurine seemed quite justifiable.

Midoriya slipped on his shoes and opened the door just a crack, waiting for Todoroki to signal that the cost was clear. A small finger pokes through the crack; a come hither motion being summoned from the bony, pale finger.

The green haired boy takes a deep breath - it's the signal he'd been waiting for. With only an ounce of hesitation, Midoriya opened the front door and escaped with his friend down the flights of stairs. The adrenaline rushing through his veins was like none other, a sense of freedom.

However, it was short lived as the two crash into a slightly taller figure that looked down upon them, his eyes glowing a bright red.

'I see you're reverting back to your old ways, Problem Child.' The man mumbles, taking into account that another one of his students was engaged in this plan. Yet, Todoroki's presence didn't surprise him one bit. Considering that all the trouble Midoriya had made for himself so far had had Todoroki involved somewhere along the line.

'M-Mr. Aizawa.' Midoriya stutters, 'we were just...' He glances over at his partner for an explanation, an alibi to cover up their true intentions.

'Milk.' Todoroki blurts out, 'Mrs. Midoriya needed milk so we were just going to get her some.'

Aizawa raises an eyebrow, waiting to see just how far these children would try and carry on their horrible lie. 'Is that so?' He questions, making the boys shiver. 'And the store just happens to be in the direction of UA?'

'Yeah.' Todoroki answers. 'Mrs Midoriya asked if we could get some from Lunch Rush.'

Midoriya sighs heavily and buries his head in his hands, feeling secondhand embarrassment from Todoroki's excuses. He had now learnt to never trust Todoroki with the task of making alibis. Otherwise, they'd definitely end up in jail.

'I was bored and wanted to see everyone again.' Midoriya mumbles out, resorting to his plan B - innocence. How could Mr. Aizawa get angry with him then?

'Okay, I've heard enough of you two.' Aizawa grumbles. 'Get in the car.'

'Wait! Mr. Aizawa please let me to go school! I really really want to go!' Midoriya yells, tears springing into the corners of his eyes. He continues his begging rampage as Aizawa walks towards the car.

'Midoriya.' Todoroki tries, but the boy ignores him and continues whining. 'Midoriya.' He says a little louder, but the other still ignores him. Todoroki places his hands on both of Midoriya's shoulders. 'Midoriya!'

Finally the boy falls silent and looks up at his friend, who stares down at him. 'Mr. Aizawa is fine with it and is giving us a lift.' He says, motioning towards the car behind him in which had a pissed-looking Aizawa sitting in the front seat.

'Why didn't you say so sooner?' Midoriya asks, running off to the car and loading himself in the backseat. Todoroki sighs but follows after, choosing to let Midoriya's cluelessness go and instead focus on getting to school in one piece.

The car ride was silent. Both Todoroki and Midoriya was piled into the backseat like criminals in a cop car. Mr Aizawa kept a watchful eye on them through the revision mirror. Knowing them two, they'd be able to cause trouble anywhere - even in the confined space of a car.

They arrived at UA, Midoriya's eyes glittering as they drove through the grand entrance. Lately, Midoriya had seemed more and more like his past self. The excitement over UA, his passion for All Might and interest in quirks seemed to be slowly coming back.

A small smile found its away onto Todoroki's lips. It wasn't much, but the small familiar characteristics showing in Midoriya made Todoroki feel a sense of comfort. There was something about Midoriya that made Todoroki feel safe, like he was at home.

Never in his life had he experienced such love and stability. It was safe to say that Midoriya was his light house and his first sense of friendship and family. The importance the boy held in Todoroki's life was incomparable to others he'd formed relationships with.

Midoriya was his everything.

The car came to a rumbling stop just as the bells rang. Aizawa and the two students climbed out of the car, walking sluggishly towards classroom.

Just before entering, Midoriya excused himself to go to the bathrooms in which Aizawa approved. Todoroki continued on with Aizawa, leaving Midoriya racing to the nearby stalls.

As he reached the bathroom, he pushed open a door and quickly locked it behind him, relieving himself into the bowl below.

Midoriya finishes up and washes his hands, walking towards the hallway. But, just as he leaves the bathrooms, a hand wraps around his neck, fingers gently skimming over the soft skin.

Something about these fingers felt familiar. Way too familiar.

• • •

A/N: did I just leave you on a cliff hanger? Yes, yes I did.
Sorry to be so inactive lately. I have been working on some new stories on the side which are still yet to be published / announced so please stay tuned.
Thank you all so much for your love and support. It means the world to me and I really do hope you're all enjoying the storyline so far.
If you'd like to, please comment some of your honest opinions / thoughts / questions below!
Any questions I will answer in the next update. And once again, thank you all so much and I hope you have a wonderful day / night!!