Chapter 33 : Gift

Yaoyorozu returns to the classroom with Aizawa and All Might in tow. Originally, she only planned on finding Aizawa. However, once All Might overheard about his precious successor suffering, he knew he had to be there.

When the incident originally happened, All Might was completely crushed. He felt like he'd failed both Midoriya and Inko. After Kamino, All Might swore to protect and raise Midoriya with everything he had.

But, not even All Might could keep his promise.

Of course, Inko never blamed All Might. It'd be unreasonable to - nobody could've predicted this incident. Plus, All Might wasn't even at the school that day.

If anything, it'd be Aizawa that has guilt eating away at him. However, the black haired male didn't consume himself with guilt. Instead, he decided to ensure that there wasn't ever going to be repeat of this situation.

That didn't mean Aizawa wasn't worried over his student though. He'd had countless of sleepless nights due to obsessing over Midoriya's condition. All of his students were like his children - it was proven by USJ just how fair he'd go to protect them.

'I have Mr. Aizawa and All Might!' Yaoyorozu yells, stepping aside so the teachers can enter the room.

'Young Midoriya I-.' All Might's voice trailed off when he noticed Midoriya staring intensely at his hands, eyes wide.

Todoroki looked shocked as well, all the colour seemed to drain out of his already pale skin. 'R-Remember?' Todoroki stutters, unsure if he heard the boy clearly. 'You... remembered?'

'Not exactly.' Midoriya answers in response, slowly meeting Todoroki's gaze. 'It... It didn't make any sense.'

Aizawa steps forward and kneels in front of Midoriya to meet his eye level. 'Are you okay?' He asks, voice dull and emotionless.

Midoriya nods his head slowly, still feeling shocked. 'He thinks that he's remembered something.' Tsuyu interrupts, looking at Aizawa. 'That's what the panic attack was over.'

Aizawa nods to show he understands before standing back up again. 'Well, would you mind coming with me Midoriya?' His eyes drift to Todoroki who still stood firmly by his friend's side. 'You as well, Todoroki.'

The two boys agree and follow Aizawa out of the room, All Might drifted behind them. He suddenly felt a spark of hope. If Midoriya is remembering things, then maybe it's possible for him to remember everything.

But, one shouldn't get their hopes up.

• • •

The two boys were now seated next to each other with Aizawa and All Might adjacent to them. Aizawa managed to snag the teacher's lounge so their conversation would remain private.

If anything, it was more-so to stop the other teachers from becoming involved. Aizawa knew just how troublesome and nosy they can all become.

'So, it was mentioned that you remembered something.' Aizawa starts, watching as Midoriya takes a sip of his tea. To help calm the situation, All Might suggested he made everyone a cup of tea. Although Aizawa viewed this as a waste of time, he agreed.

'What exactly was it that you remembered?'

Midoriya places his cup back on the table and played with his heavily scarred fingers. 'W-Well it was nothing important... I was just in a classroom. It w-wasn't like the one we have here. It was more d-dark and boring.'

Aizawa nodded, remaining silent so Midoriya can carry on.

'There was a notebook in front of me, something to do with h-heroes.' Midoriya continues, 'then all I heard was a male voice saying "Oi, Deku". There was n-nothing else after that.'

Aizawa nods and takes in Midoriya's memory. Its clear that this most likely took place in middle school and the boy Midoriya spoke of was undeniably Bakugou. He was only one person who constantly referred to Midoriya as 'Deku'.

Todoroki and All Might's faces seem to fall in slight disappointment. They were glad to hear that Midoriya had at least regained a memory of some sort, but both wished for Midoriya to remember them.

For All Might, he'd never felt so displaced. To once be someone that Midoriya fawned over and admired, having him forget was difficult. Plus, the two had built a strong bond through their shared quirk. It was difficult for All Might to watch from the sidelines.

However, Todoroki felt worry stir through him. Similar to All Might, a piece of him wished for Midoriya to remember all the experiences they shared. Midoriya was his first friend and held a special place in his heart.

But, another part of Todoroki felt panicked. If this memory really was one from middle school, then how would Midoriya react if he remembered Bakugou's aggressive behaviour?

It was something Todoroki couldn't bare to witness. He'd seen how damaged and guilty Midoriya felt over his lost friendship with the blonde. Yet, he wasn't even to blame.

It'd be too much for him to remember.

'I-I'm sorry..' Midoriya whispers, tears building up in his eyes. 'I know I made you all worry... And I know you all hoped for me to remember something more. But, no matter how hard I try, I just can't.'

A small tear rolled down Midoriya's face, then another. 'I-I just can't! I've tried so hard yet all I've received is some stupid vision!' Midoriya's voice was raised in frustration, his face flushing red with anger.

'I want to remember you all! I want to remember the fun we had!' Midoriya cries, 'I-I want to remember me. B-but I'm so useless... I can't even do that for you.'

Todoroki hugs Midoriya tightly. 'Don't say that.' He whispers, rubbing the sobbing boy's back. 'You're not useless, you're so strong.'

All Might's eyes dampen at the sight before him. He couldn't even imagine how frustrated Midoriya felt right now. To forget the ones you love, the life you've lived and lessons you've learned. To even forget yourself; it was a burden way to large for a fifteen year old to carry.

'Young Midoriya,' All Might speaks, gaining the boy's attention. 'It's okay for you to not remember, don't feel guilty. You've already given us the greatest gift.'

Midoriya sniffles and wipes his eyes, looking up at All Might. 'H-How? I haven't done a thing.'

All Might smiles softly. 'You being here with us is simply enough.'