Chapter 23 : Lay Off

Todoroki pulls on his jacket and looks over his shoulder at Midoriya who was still perched on the edge of his bed. 'I'm going to head down and get us something to eat. Would you like to come?'

Midoriya looks around nervously, he's afraid of the other students in his class. Are they disappointed in him? They must hate him for losing his memory.

He twiddles with his hands slightly, trying to decide quickly so he wouldn't keep Todoroki waiting.

Todoroki sighs and approaches the boy, sitting down beside him. 'What's going on?' He asks softly. Midoriya feels at ease with Todoroki's gentle voice.

'I'm just afraid.' Midoriya admits dumbly, refusing to look at Todoroki.

This makes the later frown. 'Why are you afraid? I thought you'd feel more comfortable at the dorms. Maybe we should've taken you home, you'd feel better around your mu-'

'No.' Midoriya interrupts, his voice unstable and eyes wide, making Todoroki surprised. 'Sorry. I'm just not as comfortable around mum as I am with you.' He admits. 'I just need to be with you, okay?'

Todoroki feels his heart warm at Midoriya's words. The way Midoriya was looking at Todoroki with those gorgeous emerald eyes sparkling in the late afternoon sun made him go crazy.

Lay off. Todoroki reminds himself. He was already cursing himself for getting all cuddly with Midoriya earlier. It's not the right time for this, he needs to look after Midoriya first.

'Okay, I understand.' Todoroki answers. He hears Midoriya's stomach rumble and smiles softly. 'But we need to fix that. Come on, let's go.'

The two boys walk out of the bedroom and head off to the main living area to get some food. During that time, Midoriya remained behind Todoroki like an afraid toddler refusing to leave his mothers side.

There was a few people in the living area; Uraraka, Tsuyu, Ojiro and Iida were chatting away. The moment Uraraka saw Midoriya's messy green hair and freckled cheeks she had to stop herself from smothering him.

It hurt, it hurt so badly. The one person she treasured the most, the one person she held so closely to her heart - she had to stay away from. Midoriya was her best friend and her love interest. It hurt that she couldn't approach him.

It hurt even more to know that he didn't even remember her.

Uraraka watched on sadly as Midoriya helped Todoroki cook. She saw his little smile and cute laugh, his eyes turn into little crescents from glee. She wanted to be over there making him smile and laugh, she wanted to be the one that he remembered first.

She felt so guilty and hated herself to even think this way. It wasn't a competition or a game. This was Midoriya's mental health, she couldn't take this all for granted. It was a miracle that he even awakened. She needed to accept Midoriya's feelings and lay off, she needed to stay away.

Tsuyu noticed Uraraka's stare and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. 'It's okay, he'll remember.' She comforts.

'But what if he doesn't? Or what if he does and he decides he doesn't like me?' Uraraka whispers, her voice cracking. 'I've always lived in his shadow, I've always been a leech towards him. He probably thinks I'm crazy.'

'That's not true and you know that!' Tsuyu argues. 'You know the old Midoriya cares for you, you guys were best friends. You still are. It's just... he doesn't know that yet.'

Uraraka smiles softly. 'I guess. It's just hard, you know? Seeing his smile but knowing you're not the cause of it.'

'But just remember all the times you were the cause of his smile, all the times you've cheered him up and encouraged him. You've been there since day one.'

Uraraka continues to smile whilst watching Midoriya, remembering how they first coincidentally meet. Who knew how much of an impact they'd have upon each other?

'You're right Tsuyu.' Uraraka whispers. 'So right.'