Chapter 12 : Terrors

It was dark, oh so very dark.

Bakugou stirred in his sleep, a nightmare taking over his peaceful slumber. He could see Stain and Midoriya, the way Midoriya fell backwards onto him. He could feel the blood, there was so much of it. It was flooding out of Midoriya's wound and onto Bakugou's hands.

Tears were streaming down Bakugou's face as he tried his best to apply pressure. But the warm, sticky crimson squeezed through the tiny gaps between his fingers. Midoriya's eyes stared back at him lifeless; pure terror frozen still on his face.

Time stood still as Bakugou sat there in the dark alley, Midoriya's limp body beginning to loose warmth. Bakugou screamed and cried, he trembled as he cupped Midoriya's cheek.

What was he meant to do? How was he meant to save him? Every night, every time Bakugou closed his eyes, he lost Midoriya all over again. He failed over and over again.

Bakugou couldn't stand it. He screamed out his lungs, he howled in agony. He began thrashing around - punching, scratching, kicking - anything to make him know that it was all a dream; just some sick scenario his mind created.

Kirishima woke up to Bakugou screaming and instantly rushed over. As soon as he came close Bakugou punched him. It was almost as if Bakugou was in a trance, like he was stuck in his mind and couldn't control his body.

Kirishima was terrified and his jaw ached, but he wrapped his arms around Bakugou's front, trying his best to calm the blonde. Bakugou still thrashed and tried to escape Kirishima's grip, but that only made Kirishima hold him tighter.

After a little while, Bakugou reduced to quite sobs. He buried his face in Kirishima's chest, shaking with fear. Bakugou hated this. He hated the situation he was in. He hated that he couldn't sleep, he hated that Midoriya had to save him, he hated that Stain hurt Midoriya.

But most of all, he hated that he was too weak to do a thing about it.

He should've been stronger. He should've been the one saving Midoriya's ass only to taunt him about it later. But, the situation happened to get out of hand too quickly and Midoriya was the one that put his life on the line.

Nothing can express how much Bakugou hated Midoriya for doing that.

Kirishima rubbed Bakugou's back and whispered soothing words into his ear to calm him down. He didn't understand what had happened or why Bakugou had suddenly awoken in panic. But he didn't care, all he needed to know was that Bakugou was okay.

Finally, Bakugou's sobs subsided and he wriggled in Kirishima's arms. Reluctantly, Kirishima let him go because he knew that if he dared to hold Bakugou any longer then he'd be in for it.

Kirishima waited for a hit, for words dripping with insults to fly from Bakugou's mouth. But instead Bakugou just sat there, completely emotionless. Normally, Bakugou would threaten anyone that saw his weak side - make sure they never shared his insecurities or breakdowns with anyone else.

But this time, he didn't. And that really worried Kirishima. It was so out of the ordinary, it wasn't Bakugou. Of course Kirishima knew that the incident had affected Bakugou, but he never realised to what extent.

Kirishima finally realised that Midoriya held a bigger place in Bakugou's heart then anyone else. Without Midoriya, Bakugou wasn't Bakugou. He was Katsuki; afraid and lost, unsure of how to deal with all these emotions.

Midoriya was Bakugou's escape, his will to continue chasing his dreams. He was his best friend and his rival, a strange connection but something meaningful. They'd known each other since forever and had always reserved such a large place for each other in their heart but never showed it.

They were both too afraid to.

Bakugou could feel Kirishima's gaze on him and knew that soon enough he'd have Kirishima nagging to know what caused the night terror. Sighing, he dragged his legs forward and cuddled then to his chest - instantly curling himself into a ball.

'It was Deku...' he whispers so softly that it was barely audible. 'I..I-I couldn't save him..' Bakugou tears up again just from merely remembering the dream.

He didn't understand. What was wrong with him? Why was he being so vulnerable? Why was he opening up to Kirishima? Why wasn't he screaming at him instead? All these thoughts float around in his mind but one stayed permanent, stuck like plague.

Why am I not being me?