Chapter 36 : The Boy

The cafeteria was alive with loud chatter and clinking of plates. It was barely a few minutes since lunch was initiated, yet, almost the whole student body was jammed into this one room.

Midoriya sat down at one of the tables, squished between Todoroki and Uraraka. He couldn't believe how many people were present, it was shocking just how large UA was.

Before him, was a steaming bowl of katsudon and wooden chopsticks that rested upon a holder. Todoroki had told him that this was his favourite meal and that every day he ate it - much like Todoroki and his cold soba.

Of course, Midoriya agreed to let Todoroki grab him lunch. If he didn't, then he'd probably just hold up the line due to him not actually knowing what he liked.

The katsudon smelled delicious and Midoriya's mouth watered at its sight. It was almost as though his body remembered everything and his mind was the only organ deceiving him. At that moment, his stomach released a large growl which grabbed the attention of his friends.

'Why aren't you eating?' Todoroki asks, looking at the boy worriedly. 'Did you perhaps want me to get you something different? Some cold soba?'

Midoriya instantly shook his head. 'No! It's okay. It's just strange, it's like my body is aware that I love katsudon. My mind is the only organ playing tricks on me.'

'That's actually quite interesting though. How body is reacting to things like normal, I mean.' Uraraka adds in.

Todoroki nods in agreement before standing up. 'I'm going to go grab a drink, would you guys like one?'

'Yes please!' Midoriya and Uraraka chime in together, giggling after realising their synced voices.

'No thank you, I'm perfectly fine with my water.' Iida answer, smiling fondly at Todoroki.

Todoroki nods and walks off, joining the large queue. Midoriya watches as he leaves before eyeing his plate.

'I mean, at least it won't matter if his food gets cold.'

Uraraka laughs in response. 'You're right! Maybe that's why he buys it all the time? I mean, it's quite convenient.'

The group continues to chatter amongst themselves and Midoriya enjoys his meal in the meantime. Todoroki was right about his taste, this meal was amazing. It was no wonder as to why he ate it everyday.

The doors open to the cafeteria and Midoriya notices the orange haired boy from class that calmed him down before. Beside him, was Kamimari - Midoriya could tell from his unique black stripe in his hair.

Uraraka notices Midoriya looking off. 'Is everything okay Midoriya? You seem distracted.'

'Huh?' Midoriya asks, snapping out of his trance. 'Everything is fine I just... that boy over there, the one with the orange hair, who is he?'

'Orange hair?' Uraraka questions whilst searching for the boy. 'Oh! Bakugou you mean?' She asks, pointing at his slumped figure, in which, Midoriya nods in response.

'Yeah. He's in our class, right? He helped calm me down before.' Midoriya says. 'Were we good friends? I mean, we must've been if he knew how to help me when even Todoroki didn't.'

'Friends? Well, that's quite a far stretch.' Uraraka answers truthfully. 'You guys have known each other since you were kids. But, you could more so say that you guys are a mix of frenemies and rivals. It's a difficult relationship to explain.'

Midoriya just nods slowly in response, taking in all the information. 'We must know a lot about each other then.'

'Yeah, you guys do. I'd say that you understood Bakugou the most out of everyone in the class. Even more then Kirishima.'

'But, if Bakugou and I were so close, then why hasn't Todoroki ever really told me about him or introduced me?'

Uraraka frowns at Midoriya's question. If he had his memory, he'd know exactly why Todoroki wasn't keen on reintroducing the pair. It was too dangerous, too many memories could arise and turn Midoriya upside down. That was the last thing he needed.

'Well, Todoroki and Bakugou aren't exactly friends. They're rivals, of course. But, since your accident, there's been a lot of tension between the two.'

Midoriya's eyes widen slightly. 'D-Did I make them hate each other?'

'No! It wasn't your fault. Their personalities just don't match. It's like trying to join two magnets - they just repel from each other.'

Midoriya slowly nods before taking another bite of his meal. It was so difficult not having any memory of who he was or who his friends were. If he was to of asked Todoroki about Bakugou, then he would've created a fight.

There was a pooling of uncertainty in Midoriya's stomach. He could feel his heart yearning to go over to Bakugou. Even without knowing him, Midoriya craved to be close by him. Yet, he was now aware of Todoroki's situation and he couldn't ignore that.

For now, he needed to remain by Todoroki's side just as he did for Midoriya after he woke up. It wasn't far for Midoriya to suddenly run off in chase of a boy he barely knew.

Besides, everyone seemed quite touchy about the topic of Bakugou and his relationship. Maybe, there was a good reason for that.

Maybe it'd be better for Midoriya to stay away.