Chapter 38 : Hurt

After finishing their meals, Todoroki offered to show Midoriya more of the school. Specifically, the library. Even though Midoriya usually sat with the others at their lunch table during breaks, there was a handful of times that he'd ventured off to the library. Majority of these times he was looking for the reserved Todoroki that struggled with social interactions.

For Todoroki, the library was he sanctuary. Not many would peg him as a reader, but the boy occasionally enjoyed relaxing with a book to occupy him. The main reason he spent a lot of time here was because of his lack of social skills and friends. Before Midoriya reached out to him, he couldn't stand being alone in the cafeteria. Even with how friendly his classmates were, he didn't quite feel as if he fitted in. Therefore, he'd prefer to be alone.

However, after becoming friends with Midoriya's group, he found himself craving the feeling of company. Never had he ever felt so much warmth and happiness before. He wanted to be with his friends everyday and every night. Every time that he had to return home to his father's cold glare made his stomach sink. That's why he was quite pleased that the dorm system at UA came into place. 

It wasn't unordinary for Midoriya and Todoroki to spend time together after class or even have sleepovers. Midoriya quickly discovered Todoroki's unexpected clingy personality and offered him the comfort and attention the boy desired. In return, Todoroki did the same for Midoriya.

Moving away from his mother wasn't easy for Midoriya. He was obviously excited for his new life just like any other of his classmates, but, he had to leave a large part of it behind. Inko was everything to Midoriya; his mother, best friend and rock. Without her, so many things would've been different. Whenever Midoriya doubted himself, he always found a reason to stay thanks to Inko. She was his anchor.

'Wow! It's so big!' Midoriya exclaimed, eyes wide as he scanned the large room. There were books leading all the way up to the ceiling, large windows that allowed bright sunshine to filter inside and soft wooden floors. The whole room was like a mansion, Midoriya could hardly believe the amount of books there was. 

Row upon row, they never seemed to end. Midoriya raced around like an excited toddler as Todoroki seated himself at a nearby table. He knew that Midoriya wished to explore and he wanted to give him a little bit of space. It was also to help train himself to let Midoriya do as he pleased, he didn't need Todoroki to constantly follow him around like an overprotective parent. Midoriya was capable to look after himself now and Todoroki realised that he needed to back off a little. 

'There's even hero books here!' Midoriya whispered to himself, 'I wonder if I've read these before? Maybe if I have a look at some then it might bring back some memories.' He allows his fingers to skim over each binder, eyes burning each title into his memory to see if he remembered anything.

'I can guarantee that you've probably read every single one of these like the little nerd you are.' 

Midoriya jumped at the sudden rough voice that spoke from behind him. He instantly turns to find the same boy from earlier today that help him out, the one Uraraka called Bakugou. 'R-Really?' He questions, turning back to the books. 'I've heard that I liked heroes.'

Bakugou frowns at this statement. It was weird to hear Midoriya's voice so unpassionate. Usually the moment he even thought of heroes there'd be a little twinkle in his green orbs. But, there was now only confusion, like the real Midoriya that Bakugou had spent his whole life with had vanished without a trace. 

'You did, you were completely obsessed.' Bakugou replies in a monotone voice. 'You used to always tell me some dumb fucking shit about them. It was always, Kacchan this, Kacchan that. I never got a fucking break.'

Midoriya smiles softly. Even without his memory, he was glad to know he'd made some kind of imprint on someones life. Because for him at the moment, it felt like every step he'd taken in life was now hidden under deep layers of snow. It was almost as though he was simply living in the body of someone else, someone who had touched the hearts of many others but never their own. 

'You seem to know me well, Bakugou.' Midoriya answers, cringing over the usage of his name. For some reason, it just felt so uncomfortable to say. Like the word Bakugou was a forbidden sin. Midoriya remembered back to when that blonde boy demanded for him to only ever call Bakugou, Kacchan. But, Todoroki became upset after he heard Midoriya use that name so he stopped. 

Bakugou scowls at Midoriya's unfamiliar calling of his name. It wasn't right. Bakugou had known Midoriya all his life and never once had he heard such a disgusting word fall from his lips. It wasn't right, Bakugou couldn't stand it one bit. 'I thought I told you to call me Kacchan, Deku.'

Midoriya frowns slightly. 'Deku? Who's De...' His voice trails off as his head begins to pound. It was almost as if his mind was battling to unlock a memory that wasn't fully created yet. Midoriya gripped his head tightly, nails digging into the soft flesh as he gritted his teeth. 

Bakugou's eyes widened at the display before him and he instantly reached out to him. 'What the fuck is going on?!' He yelled, 'Deku!' 

'I-I don't know!' Midoriya sobbed out, sinking to his knees. 'It just hurts, it hurts so much.'

'What hurts?' Bakugou asked, heart pounding in his chest. He was terrified, quivering over the thought of loosing Midoriya again. He barely survived this last month, the whole world turned bland. There was no way he could go through that again.

'M-My head!' Midoriya sobbed, 'My head hurts!' The pain was unbearable at this point, impossibly increasing even further. Midoriya yelped out, feeling like a knife had been jabbed straight through the centre of his brain. 

Bakugou was panicking at this point, he had no idea on what to do. Recovery Girl  he thought, helping Midoriya stand, I'll take him there. 

'Hey Midoriya are you ready to-' Todoroki falls silent as he views the scene before him. His best friend gripping his head tightly, tears streaming down his cheeks whilst his bully is latched onto him. Anger eats at Todoroki as he glares Bakugou down. 

'Get away from him.'