8. It Could Of Been Great

It is the late evening. Pearl, Amethyst, Y/n and Garnet are seen sitting on a hill and watching the sunset over Beach city. Steven is lying nearby against Lion, strumming his ukulele, when Peridot walks up to him.

"Steven." Peridot says.

"Hi!" Steven replies.

"Why did we stop working on the Drill?! Why are they just sitting there looking at nothing?! Even The Y/n has joined them!" Peridot cries.

"We worked hard and we deserve to take it easy for a little bit. I mean just look at that view. It's beautiful." Steven exclaims.

"It's going to be blown to oblivion by if we don't get back to work!" Peridot shouts.

"Working hard is important, but feeling good is important too." Steven says.

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!" Peridot says back frustrated. Peridot accidentally turns on the power drill in her hand in her frustration, and it makes a buzzing sound.

"Hey!" Steven then imitates the drill buzzing. "What is that, a C?" He asks himself then plays the note on his ukulele.

"The drill?" Peridot asks as she makes the drill buzz again.

"Yeah!" Steven says happily. 

Peridot makes the drill buzz in a higher pitch. 

"Oh my gosh, now it's music!" Steven exclaims.

"Music?" Peridot asks confused.

"Yeah! It's music! Y/n took an interest in it recently too here like this," ♫do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do.♫ Steven strums his ukulele.

"Do-mi-so-do..." Repeats.

♫ Isn't it pretty? ♫ Steven sings.

"That's exceedingly simple." Peridot state. Steven strums his ukulele again. "Do-mi-so-ti..." Peridot repeats again.

♫ We're making music.♫  Steven sings again.

"What is the point? You're not making anything." Peridot asks

"Well, if it isn't anything, then why does it sound so good?" Steven challenges.

Peridot looks at Y/n sat on the hill briefly. "I suppose it's just interest... Do-mi-so-do. Devoid of substance or purpose, a hypothetical pattern... Do-mi-so-ti. For the satisfaction of bringing it to completion." Peridot begins to think outloud.

"Sure." Steven says.

"Do-mi-so-ti. Interest without meaning? Solutions without problems?" Peridot rambles.

"And then you just add words. Look even Y/n has been giving it a try." Steven points to Y/n sat with the Gems a guitar in his arms.

"So Y/n." Pearl starts gaining Y/n's attention. "Steven says that you have learned how to play this instrument. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give us a demonstration?" Pearl asks.

"Very well. Steven has encouraged me to write what he calls a "Song" about my thoughts and feelings. I've thought about it for a few days and finally created one." 

Y/n starts to pluck some strings in a tune.