14. Barn Mates

Peridot is talking into her tape recorder in the barn, while Lapis, Y/n and Steven watch on next to her.

"And then I'll say, "Hey, as one refugee to another, it isn't so bad that we can't go back to Homeworld, am I right? Why don't we watch the sun come up and figure out what we're going to do with all this time, eh Lazuli?" And then she'll say, "Yes Peridot, as impressed I was by you on the ship, I am even more impressed with your new compact look and capacity for friendship! I'm so glad we're going to live together!" Peridot, Facet 5." 

Peridot stops recording and casually turns to Lapis.

"Let's begin." Peridot says.

"... This isn't gonna work." Lapis says bluntly.

"Wait, what?" Peridot says.

"I really thought I would be living alone here. With Y/n." Lapis says.

"Yeah, but this is even better! Oh here, how about this? I saw this on an episode of a TV show! I didn't see how it ended, but I'm sure it worked out right. We'll divide this place in half." Steven says as he takes out a marker and starts drawing a straight line on the floor.

"You'll both have your own space. High ceilings, real wood floors, convenient location on the heart of the country; so what do you think, roomies?"

Peridot and Lapis stand opposite of one another on both sides of the line.

"I like the cut of your gem, Steven Quartz!" Peridot cries out.

"Steven. Where am I supposed to stay..." Y/n says to himself rubbing his eyes.

"No! No way!"Lapis says.

"What's the problem? You're the one getting all the good stuff! You've got the propeller and paint cans on your side! You can do tons with those! Oooh, actually, I want the paint cans. You wanna trade something?" Peridot says thinking about it.

Lapis glares at Peridot dismissively. "I don't care about paint cans. That's not the problem."

"Bah..."

"What's wrong, Lapis?" Steven asks.

"It's her." Lapis says pointing to Peidot.

"Egh?!" Peridot flinches in confusion.

"She's the problem. I can't stand the thought of looking at her everyday. She's the one who dragged me back to Earth!" Lapis says,

"Hey, it wasn't my idea! I was headed to Earth and I needed an informant! It should have been a simple mission. Things didn't exactly work out for either of us." Peridot says back.

Lapis gets angry. "You used me like everyone else did!"

"But it's not like that anymore! It's different now; I'm different!" Peridot tries to explain.

Steven walks next to Peridot. "It's true, Lapis! Peridot has really come into her own since she's been living on Earth."

"I sabotaged my own mission! I helped save the Earth! I even yelled at Yellow Diamond! She's probably sending a whole fleet to find me and shatter me right now. I'm kind of a big deal; a big Anti-Homeworld deal!" Peridot exclaims.

Lapis approaches Steven, and Peridot moves behind her uncertainly

Lapis is forcing a concerned smile. "Steven, I don't think this is gonna work."