1 - The Beauxbatons Student

I took a deep breath of the lovely fragrant air as I stepped out into the majestic gardens of Beauxbatons, leaving the beautiful chateau behind me.

I simply loved it here. And having just completed my third year, I was already itching to come back.

"Av a good 'oliday, Aurora," the throaty call of Fleur Delacour's voice drifted over to me. "Give that gorgees brother ov yours my love."

I twirled round to smile at my oldest friend, causing my silk pale blue robes to shimmer in the morning sunlight as they billowed gently around me. "And you Fleur, say hi to Gabrielle and your parents for me!"

My mother had been best friends with Apolline Delacour - Fleur's mother - before she was killed in the wizarding war. Being only a baby, I was too young to remember her, and Apolline took over the motherly duties, taking Cedric and I under her wing whilst our father suffered a breakdown. Fleur and Gabrielle had become like sisters to us.

"Rory!" I heard a familiar yell, as I stepped through the gate in the Muggle airport.

Arms snaked around my waist from behind, picking me up and twirling me around.

"Put me down, Ced!" I squealed, smacking at his arms.

Chuckling, Cedric released me, allowing my feet to land back clumsily to the floor. Stumbling, I turned around to face him and playfully thumped his shoulder.

"What are you doing here? Where's dad?" I asked, grinning up at him. "And why was your last letter so mysterious?"

"I'll explain on the way home," he laughed, his grey eyes twinkling amusedly, "now tell me, Rory, has your daft school got its act together and invested in a Quidditch pitch, yet?"

"You know we don't play Quidditch at Beauxbatons, Ced," I said, rolling my eyes. This fact has always baffled my older brother, as if he couldn't imagine going to a school without this ridiculous and time consuming sport.

"I promise you, you'll love it by the end of the summer," he grinned mysteriously, grabbing my trunk and leading the way out of the airport.

I soon found out what he meant by that.

"The Quidditch World Cup?!"

My father was beaming at me, proudly holding up three tickets in his hand as I approached the front door of our cosy Devonshire home.

"But how could we afford-"

"Contacts at the Ministry," Cedric murmured in my ear, impressively.

I ran up to my father, throwing my arms around his neck, kissing him on the cheek.

Okay, so I wasn't the biggest fan of playing Quidditch in school time, but even I couldn't deny that going to see the World Cup was an exciting prospect.

"Aurora, my love," my father sighed, giving me a tight squeeze, and then pulling away to look down at me with sad, glistening eyes, "you look more like your mother every time I see you."

I felt my heart tug painfully, I knew how sad this made my father. And what I would have given to spend just one day with my mother.

I felt a hand touch lightly to my back. "Come on, Rory," Cedric murmured gently, gazing down at me with a soft smile, "let's get you unpacked."

...

"Rise and shine, Rory," my brother yodelled from the other side of my bedroom door as he excitedly rapped on it loudly, "it's Quidditch time!"

I blinked my eyes open sleepily, it was barely morning. Despite being summer, the sun wasn't even up yet.

I stretched my arms above my head, giving a loud, tired yawn. It was crazy how early we had to get up. But as it dawned upon me why, my heart gave a small flip of excitement. The Quidditch World Cup.