5 - An Exciting Prospect

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I looked from Dad, to Cedric and back to Dad again, my mouth hanging open like an idiot.

"Well? What do you say?" Dad asked me eagerly, "I had to pull quite a few strings at the Ministry, but it'll be worth it!"

"I- I don't know..." I stammered, looking at Cedric to see his reaction to the news. "What do you think about it, Ced?"

He chuckled, his eyes twinkling amusedly. "What do I think? Rory, this is the most exciting thing ever! You'd be a fool to turn it down."

"It wouldn't bother you, then?" I asked carefully, my heart beating crazily in my chest, already knowing what my answer was going to be. "Having your little sister tag along at school with you?"

Cedric chuckled again, ruffling my hair with his hand. "As if! And it's not like you're 'tagging along', as you put it - you'll be attending with the rest of Beauxbatons."

"But don't think you can put your name in the Goblet!" Dad said at once, "I've assured the Ministry that your attendance will be to represent and support your school only. Besides, I am sure that Dumbledore will have a foolhardy system put in place to stop anyone underage from entering."

"But you'll be entering?" I asked Cedric, thinking how awesome it would be, if not a little terrifying, to become a champion.

"Oh yes, just try and stop me!" He grinned, taking a huge bite out of a roast potato.

It was the last night of the summer holidays. Cedric was going back to Hogwarts the next day, and I to Beauxbatons. Dad had cooked us our usual 'last supper' of roast beef and all the trimmings. Apparently it had been mum's favourite.

"But you must remember," Dad piped up, jabbing his fork in each of our direction. "Not a word to anyone on your journeys to school tomorrow. Your headteachers are both keen to be the one to announce it themselves."

I met Cedric's eye and we both grinned at one another excitedly.

"I'll do it," I announced, as tiny thrills of delight zipped through me. "I'll come to Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament!"

Boy, was it going to be an exhilarating year.

...

The moment Dumbledore had announced that Beauxbatons were going to be one of the schools participating in the Triwizard Tournament, Draco's mind went instantly to the Diggory sister.

Of course, he had already known about the tournament. He had a lot of fun teasing the golden trio on the train about that. Although, he would never admit that he only knew because he had happened to overhear a conversation between his mother and father.

So, the news about Beauxbatons was a genuine surprise to him.

But then he realised that of course she would be too young to enter (he had done some subtle digging and found out that Aurora was in the same year as him), and therefore would not be attending as a hopeful champion.

He felt an odd sort of disappointment settle in the depths of his stomach.

"What's up, Drakie?"

Draco internally squirmed as he felt a hand squeeze his thigh. God, that girl had to touch him all the fucking time. He used to like it, but now it just irritated him. Especially as it was always accompanied with that annoying screech she called a voice.

"Nothing," he muttered, trying to wriggle his leg out from under her grasp, under the pretence of reaching across for more gravy.

"Disappointed you can't sign up for the tournament?" she cooed. "Never mind, Drakie - you'll always be my number one champion."

Ugh. Draco had to close his eyes as a wave of nausea passed through him.

Blaise chuckled softly to his right as Draco practically sat on his lap to get away from Pansy.

"Why don't you just tell her you're not interested, man?" Blaise murmured under his breath, his black eyes glinting amusedly at his buddy.

"Because I value my balls." Draco gritted through his teeth, as Pansy shrieked in delight about something.

"Coward." Blaise snorted.

...

"Look - I zee 'ogwarts!" Fleur gestured animatedly to me.

I felt oddly nervous as I peered over her shoulder to look out the small window of our flying horse-drawn carriage.

A huge beautiful, gothic looking castle nestled amongst the green mountains, taking my breath away. Beauxbatons was beautiful, yes - but this was a whole different kind of picturesque.

I could just make out hundreds of tiny figures standing in front of it, all huddled together to greet their guests for the year. I briefly wondered if Durmstrang had arrived yet. I knew Cedric was besides himself with excitement that Viktor Krum would be one of the students among them to attend.

I squinted looking to see if I could see my brother but there was no telling from up here.

"Eet looks so gloomy," Fleur said, wrinkling her nose in disgust. "And zee weather is 'orrible."

"Well it is October, and it is Scotland." I laughed, knowing that Fleur was used to Southern French climates - not our crappy British one. But I loved it.

It was home.

We braced ourselves for landing, just as Madame Maxime had instructed. I felt tiny thrills zip through my stomach, feeling both excited and nervous at the same time. As I felt the bump of carriage on land, I wondered what sort of reception we would get.

I was excited about seeing Harry Potter and the Weasley's again. My thoughts drifted back to that horrible Malfoy boy. After the incident in the woods, Harry had explained to me that Draco was his sworn enemy and that he was definitely best avoided at all costs.

I prayed I wouldn't have much to do with him during my stay.

Although I couldn't quite erase those silver grey eyes from my mind.

...

Draco was pissed off.

They were made to stand out in the freezing cold just to say hello to a bunch of people who they would be seeing for most of the school year as it was. It was utterly preposterous.

Scowling, he clutched his trench coat tightly around him and shivered. If he gets ill because of this, he thought grumpily, he will be straight on the owlery to his father, telling him what a complete imbecile Dumbledore is.

He really shouldn't be allowed as Headmaster. Someone needed to do something about that one day.

"Aha!" Speak of the devil. "Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!"

Draco looked around but could see nothing. Moron.

"Where?" many students shouted, echoing Draco's thoughts.

"There!" yelled a sixth-year, pointing over the Forbidden Forest.

And sure enough, a gigantic, powder-blue, horse-drawn carriage soared towards them, before landing bumpily on the ground in front of them.

Draco watched with an air of nonchalance as a giant woman stepped out of the carriage door first.

Great - another giant oaf to rival their gamekeeper, Draco scoffed to himself.

As the Beauxbatons students filed out behind her, Dumbledore led a clapping procession which Draco point blankly refused to participate in.

Instead, he shook his head disdainfully, wondering when they could go in and finally eat, when something made all thoughts of food leave his head.

For the last blue uniformed figure to step out of the carriage was a little younger than the rest. Her dark hair framing her pale face, which lit up as her sparkling brown eyes greeted the cheering crowd.

It was her. The Diggory sister.