29 - Prefects and Promises

There was a bit of trouble with Harry nearly getting expelled, apparently. I didn't take too much notice though, preferring to hole myself away in my shared room.

Dramas like that seemed so insignificant to me since Cedric's passing.

But luckily, I guess, Harry was saved after a quick trip to the Ministry.

"It means I can look out for you, after all," he said upon his return, as he hovered tentatively in the bedroom doorway.

"Great." I muttered, rolling over so that my back was to him.

"Aurora." He said, and to my annoyance, he strode over and sat down upon my bed. "I promised your brother. I promised Ced-"

"CEDRIC'S DEAD!" I bellowed, snapping my head up to glare in his face. "HE HAD NO RIGHT TO ASK YOU TO LOOK AFTER ME!"

Tears started cascading down my face. I felt so angry at the world all of a sudden. So pissed off at the injustice of it all. This time last year, I had been so happy. I had my brother, I had my father and I was about to have Draco.

Now they were all gone. Taken away from me one way or another.

And I was left with this four eyed doofus.

"Harry? Aurora? What's going on?" Ginny asked, entering our room.

Her face was etched in concern as she looked warily from me, then to Harry perched on my bed.

"N-nothing," He stammered, adjusting his glasses. "I was just telling Aurora the good news about my Hearing."

Ginny raised her eyebrows as she took in my tear stained face. "So you're not thrilled he's coming back, I take it?"

Her eyes glinted in mine and I found, to my surprise, a bubble of laughter rise in my chest.

Harry's mouth dropped open as my shoulders shook uncontrollably. My tears of anger had turned into tears of laughter. I couldn't look at Ginny without wanting to giggle harder, who in turn, was clutching her stomach in fits.

"What- what's so funny?" Harry asked in complete bafflement as his eyes darted incredulously between Ginny and I.

"I don't know," I admitted, wiping my eyes.

"Me neither," Ginny agreed, sighing amusedly and shaking her head.

"Come on," she continued, holding out a hand for me to take. "Mum's just made Harry a celebratory feast downstairs to congratulate him on dodging yet another bullet, and insists that I don't come back down without you."

Smiling, I took her hand, and let her lead me out of the room as Harry stared after us, an utterly dumbfounded expression upon his face.

...

"A prefect?!"

We were all looking at Ron, our mouths agape, as he held up the the little badge containing the letter 'P'.

I felt Harry bristle next to me.

We were all sat around the kitchen table of twelve Grimmauld Place, after having just opened our Hogwarts letters.

"For crying out loud," I heard Fred mutter from under his breath.

"Never gonna hear the end of this," George muttered back.

I glanced over at them, grinning, as I held my own letter welcoming me to Hogwarts and the list of stuff that I'll need. A sadness suddenly washed over me at the thought of returning to Cedric's school without him. I wondered if I'd end up in Hufflepuff like my brother.