45 - Yuletide Blues

Draco woke up the next morning feeling an ache like no other. He couldn't possibly face the upcoming holidays without seeing Aurora first.

As he got up, he made a decision to approach her before they arrived back in London. He would apologise and take her in his arms.

Just thinking about holding her made him dress more quickly. He had been an idiot to have waited this long.

However, when he went down to the Great Hall for breakfast, she was nowhere to be seen. He looked frantically around. There was no sign of the Weasley's - or Potter, either.

"Didn't you hear, man?" Blaise said, as he bit into a slice of toast. "Rumour has it that Potter had a vision about the Weasley's dad. Apparently he nearly died or something, so they all left last night. Including Aurora."

No, no, no, no. Fucking Potter.

*****

So, we were back at the dreary number twelve Grimmauld Place.

It felt uneasy being back, remembering the grief I had endured the last time I was here.

Arthur was going to be okay, thankfully. But he was to spend Christmas stuck at St Mungo's, so we decided to remain in Sirius's house to stay close by. The added bonus being that I'd get to visit my dad at Christmas, too.

The thing with Harry's vision meant our kiss was pushed to the back of both our minds. Although no doubt Harry will try to broach it again when the shock had died down.

I had been desperately disappointed that I did not get to reconcile with Draco before Christmas. But after the kiss with Harry, I wondered if I could even bring myself to face him again.

The guilt I felt was immense. I had kissed Harry back. Hot tears of shame stung behind my eyes every time I thought about it.

Harry was not the boy I wanted to kiss. I wanted Draco. I missed him so much I physically ached.

I ached for his touch, for his kisses and for his love. I needed him like my lungs needed air. I felt like I couldn't breathe not knowing if we were going to be okay.

It was the longest two weeks of my life.

We spent Christmas day in St Mungo's visiting Arthur. Fred and George came with me to visit my dad whilst we were there, but sadly he had nothing to say. He didn't even seem to register that I was there at all, having been driven mad with grief.

"I love you, Dad," I whispered, kissing his cheek. He blinked, but did not respond.

After we stepped out of the room, I broke down crying. Fred held me up as I collapsed against his chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

I cried for my dad, who couldn't say I love you back. I cried for my brother, who never lived to see this Christmas. And I cried for Draco, who I felt as though I'd already lost.

"We're here for you, Aurora," Fred murmured in my ear, holding me tight. "We'll always be here for you."

Except they wouldn't be for much longer.

They'd leave me too, just like everyone else I loved eventually did.

*****

"Aurora, can we talk?"

I paused halfway up the stairs at the sound of Harry's voice. I had just excused myself to go to bed. It had been a long, emotional day and I was exhausted.

"Okay," I swallowed, not being able to meet his eyes.

He followed me into the bedroom I was sharing with the girls, closing the door behind him as I shakily sat on the edge of my bed.

"About the other night-" he started as I closed my eyes in remembered shame.

"Harry, please. It was a mistake. I was upset. I shouldn't have kissed you back. I love Draco."

"But he hasn't even spoken to you in ages." Harry implored, stepping over to me. "You're miserable because of him-"

"I'm miserable because I miss him! I'm miserable because I feel so alone!" I cried. "I've lost everyone I've ever loved Harry, and you're not helping!"

"But we can love each other! I'll look after you, Aurora. I'll look after you in a way that Malfoy never could!"

"Stop, Harry! Just stop right there, please. I don't love you. I love Draco."

"But that kiss," Harry implored, standing in front of me, hurt in his green eyes. "It was beautiful. I felt it."

"I was thinking about Draco!" I said, tears falling from my eyes. "I miss him so much, Harry."

Harry sighed heavily, as if realising it was no use. He turned on the spot and trudged to the door.

"He's just going to break your heart, Aurora." He said sadly, and then he was gone.

*****

Draco looked all the way up and down the train for her as it chugged them back up to Scotland.

But she and the Weasley's did not seem to be onboard.

He groaned in frustration, driving his hand through his hair.

"Relax man, she's probably just travelled a different way." Blaise chuckled as Draco moodily threw himself down on the seat opposite him.

"It was a shit Christmas." Draco sighed, agitatedly tapping the table in between them. "I missed her."

"Well just be grateful Pansy isn't here. Apparently she stayed on at Hogwarts for the duration." Blaise muttered, glancing at the empty seat where she usually sat. "Wonder what she got up to in the castle? Apparently hardly anyone stayed on this year."

Draco shrugged his shoulders. He couldn't give a shit about Pansy. There was only one girl on his mind and he was itching to have her back in his arms.

Relief flooded him when he saw Aurora sat at the Ravenclaw table upon entering the Great Hall later that night after they had arrived back.

But his relief immediately turned to concern as he saw how broken she looked. Frail, pale and exhausted. He longed to take her in his arms.

He ate his dinner as quickly as possible, barely taking his eyes off of her as he forked mouthfuls of chicken and potato in his mouth.

He almost sent the table flying when she stood up to leave. He followed her out, racing to catch up with her.

"Aurora!" He cried as he caught up with her in the deserted Entrance Hall.

She paused at the bottom of the marble staircase, turning slowly to face him.

His heart stilled at the brokenness in her eyes.

"Aurora?" He murmured quietly, swiftly striding across the floor, closing the space between them.

He went to gather her in his arms but she stepped back out of his reach.

"Aurora, I'm so sorry," he said, panic starting to bubble in his chest. "I've missed you so much."

"Draco-" she began, but then a loud sob escaped her, and tears started tumbling down her cheeks.

Draco's heart constricted. He was suddenly terrified.

"Aurora, please tell me what's wrong. Let me help you-"

"Harry kissed me,"

Draco stilled. This was the last thing he had expected her to say. He tried to take in her words, sounding them out one by one in his own head, trying to make sense of them.

But she hadn't finished. And it was what she said next that made him feel as though someone had torn open his chest and ripped his heart out.

"... I kissed him back."