69 - Ice Cold Fingers

I raced back to the castle as fast as I could, my heart beating violently against my chest and my lungs working overtime.

I needed to find him. I needed to find Draco.

"Aurora! Calm down, you need to be careful!" Cho cried as she chased after me.

I barely heard her over the pounding of the blood in my head. Why would he do this? What would he have to gain from trying to kill someone?

Hands grabbed me from behind, arms snaking around my middle, halting me in my tracks.

I looked up to see Blaise staring fiercely down at me.

"Don't be fucking stupid, Aurora!" He growled, as tears started to cascade down my face. "If Draco had to do this then he had good reason!"

I collapsed against him, my body sagging resignedly in his hold.

"But I love him," I sobbed. "I love him so much."

"I know," he murmured, pressing his mouth against my ear as he continued to hold me. "I know."

I allowed him and Cho to walk me back to the castle, with Blaise promising to find out all he could as he left Cho and I outside Ravenclaw Tower.

Cho stayed with me as I crawled under the covers of my bed and sobbed myself to sleep, cradling my stomach as I did so.

I spent the rest of the day in and out of restless sleep, Cho checking up on me constantly and handing me the occasional apple, assuring me she'd let me know as soon as she heard anything.

But the day came to an end, and I was still none the wiser.

The following morning was broken with news that Katie was going to be okay.

As relieved as I was, I still felt utterly sick as to why Draco had done it.

I was desperate to see him, and ask him why, but I knew Blaise was right.

I had to let Draco get on with things. And I needed to concentrate on looking after our baby.

He wasn't at breakfast; he wasn't at lunch. In fact, I didn't see him again until two days later, at our next Potions lesson.

He looked worse than I'd ever seen him.

"Draco," I breathed as he heavily sat down beside me.

I nearly gasped out loud in horror when I got a close look at him.

Grey eyes, which used to twinkle lovingly into mine, were now sat lifeless and sunken in his gaunt, pale face. His thin, tired frame sagged exhaustedly beneath his crumpled shirt.

He looked like death.

I went to reach out a hand to touch his arm, but I quickly pulled it back again at the warning look he shot me.

Tears sprang to my eyes as a mixture of hurt and fear flooded my veins.

He refused to look at me again. Although he still fetched my ingredients, he barely offered a grunt when I thanked him.

Ice cold fingers were clenching around my heart.

I didn't know what was happening. I was frightened. I was confused.

I just wanted my Draco back.

But I felt as though I was losing him, and there was nothing I could do about it.

*****

It had to be this way.

He had no choice.