79 - The Honeymoon

Tucking his daughter under his arm, Draco took his wife's hand and led her out into the sunshine.

His wife.

In this moment, he didn't think he could possibly be happier.

"Oh, wow," Aurora breathed as they stepped out into the wedding inn's garden where a small round table had been lain beautifully for four, complete with finger sandwiches, fancy cakes, champagne and floral china tea cups.

"It's not much," Draco apologised, pulling out a chair for her, "but just being the four of us, I thought an afternoon tea would do."

"It's perfect," she smiled, as he sat down next to her, leaning in to lightly brush his lips against hers.

"Just like you," he said smoothly, grinning as he felt his daughter's tiny fingers clawing at his chest, a little grizzle emitting from her mouth.

Breaking away from Aurora, he sat back in his chair and jiggled Nova on his knee as she squealed in delight at having her daddy's attention back.

"I can't believe you guys are actually married!" Cho gasped, taking a seat and tucking straight into a cucumber sandwich.

"It was beautiful, man," Blaise said, smacking Draco's back as he vacated the remaining chair. "Congrats, guys!"

"I just hate that we have to keep this secret," Aurora sighed sadly, making Draco's heart twist in guilt. Aurora deserved better than this, he thought, as he looked from his beautiful wife, to the precious child on his lap. They both did.

"Stop!" Cho said, holding up a hand, "I forbid that kind of talk. Just for today - now - you two are Mr and Mrs Malfoy - out loud and proud!"

Blaise showed his agreement by popping open the champagne and pouring out glasses.

"To the Malfoy's!" He cheered, raising a glass in the air.

Draco lifted his own glass, chinking it against Aurora's.

"I remember the first time I met you," he murmured, smiling fondly at the memory, "I knew you were the girl I wanted to marry, even then."

"You called me a cretin!"

"Draco, man - not cool," Blaise chuckled, playfully punching his friend's shoulder.

"Well she did drop a bucket of water all over my shoes." Draco retorted. "They were designer."

"Oh Jesus Draco, I hope our daughter doesn't take after you!" Aurora laughed, her eyes creasing up in amusement.

Her words caused a dull ache inside his chest. Draco didn't know what was going to happen from there on in, but he knew they couldn't live the normally family life that he so craved to have with them.

He held Nova close as he draped an arm around Aurora's shoulders; a heavy sadness filling his heart.

"Look, guys," Cho said, glancing up at Blaise pointedly as she did so. "Why don't we finish up here and then Blaise and I can take Nova for a walk while you two... check out the room we booked."

"Yeah, sure," Blaise said, cottoning on straight away, leaning forward to tickle Nova under the chin, "How about it, kiddo? Uncle Blaise can show you the sights whilst mummy and daddy get busy validating the marriage."

His eyes meeting Aurora's, Draco suddenly realised there was nothing else he wanted to do more right then.

*****

Draco took my hand and led me towards the little bed and breakfast where Cho and I had got ready in earlier.

I felt a sudden pool of anticipation in the pit of my stomach as Draco closed the bedroom door behind us and pulled me instantly into his arms.

"You're so beautiful, Aurora," he murmured, his eyes piercing hungrily into mine as his fingertips stroked my cheek making me sigh in longing.

It wasn't long until my dress was on the floor and Draco was laying me down on the bed, kissing every inch of me as he slowly removed every last piece of clothing.

Afterwards, we lay in each other's arms; sweaty, breathless and spent.

"I love you so much, Draco," I whispered, resting my cheek upon his chest, listening to his heartbeat slowly return to its resting rate.

"I love you too, Aurora," he murmured hoarsely through his still shallow and jagged breaths, as he lovingly stroked my hair, "more than you could ever know."

I looked sadly at the wedding ring on my left hand, realising I'd have to remove it soon.

"I've got a chain for it, so I can wear it round my neck," I said, "I can't bear the thought of not wearing it somehow."

"And I'm going to do this," Draco said, removing his own ring from his wedding finger and placing it on his right instead, "if anyone asks, I'll just tell them I found it amongst my grandfather's collection."

I tilted my face up to look at him, and our eyes met sadly. There was an ache in my chest that seemed to be growing, knowing we'd have to head back to Hogwarts all too soon.

"Today was perfect," I breathed, and his arms went around my back, pulling me up to him so that our faces were practically touching.

"Whatever happens, Aurora," he said forcibly, his silver grey eyes burning intensely into mine, "just know that I love you, and marrying you has been the best thing I've ever done. It also means Pansy can't touch us now. She's tried, but all she's achieved is making you and I stronger. I now have a wife and a child who I'll literally do anything for. You know I'd die for you Aurora, don't you?"

"Don't say that," I trembled, "don't talk about dying, please, Draco."

"I'm sorry," he said, clasping the back of my head and pressing his lips fiercely against my forehead before looking back down earnestly into my eyes. "But you've got to know, I'll do anything to keep you and Nova safe, anything."

My stomach knotted fearfully as the ache in my chest grew. I couldn't help the tears spilling from my eyes as Draco held me, wiping them away and reassuring me of his love.

We lay there for some time, dreaming of the life that seemed so far out of our reach; until finally, reluctantly, we got dressed - back into our school robes, as we packed our wedding attire away.

It had been the best day of my life.

But it had also been one of the saddest.