2 - The Slytherin Prince

Draco Malfoy was disgruntled.

There were far too many poor people at this place. With the price his father had paid for the tickets, he couldn't believe they had to rub shoulders with the riff-raff.

He gave an involuntary shudder as he passed a middle aged wizard - sporting a flowery Muggle nightgown - stepping out of a tent that looked as though it had been made out of recycled old brown sacks.

"Mornin'!" He called jovially across to Draco, giving his balls a hearty scratch through the cloth of his nightie. Draco instinctively straightened his suit. "Whizzing day for a Quidditch match, innit!"

Draco stuck his nose upwards in response and carried on, praying he wouldn't catch anything by breathing in the same air as this disgusting wizard.

He continued up the hill, focusing on the Malfoy green and silver striped silk tent up ahead, resembling a miniature palace, with several live peacocks tethered at the entrance.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, someone came running out from behind a tent and barged straight into Draco's chest, almost winding him.

"Watch it, you cretin!" Draco snarled as a pail of water was dropped at his feet, splashing all over his shiny black shoes.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," a panicked voice sounded, as a dark hair girl crouched down to retrieve the pail.

She stood back up, and Draco immediately stilled. She was, without doubt, the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life.

And he had just called her a cretin.

Her pale cheeks rose in colour as he continued to stare at her. He realised he was gawping, and quickly closed his mouth, trying to think of something - anything - to say.

"Sorry." The word felt strange and unnatural upon his lips.

"It's okay," she said quickly, "I should have been watching where I was going, there's a lot of people about. Are your shoes all right?"

They both looked down, as he gave each foot a little shake, allowing water droplets to flick from his shoes.

"They'll be fine," he muttered. Besides, he thought, it wasn't as if he didn't have six more pairs in the tent.

She blinked up at him, her dark brown eyes twinkling against the morning sunlight.

"I really am sorry," she said again, her blush still visible upon her cheeks.

"Rory!" A voice Draco recognised, shouted from the distance.

The girl span around and Draco looked over her shoulder to see Cedric Diggory running towards them.

What the hell does that stupid Hufflepuff want? Draco thought irritably. It really was barbaric the people he was expected to mingle with at this event.

Cedric stopped short when he noticed Draco.

"Malfoy," he said stiffly, looking from him to the girl with a wary expression on his face.

"Sorry, Ced," the girl murmured hurriedly joining his side, "I dropped all the water over this poor boy's shoes."

Poor boy?! Draco felt slightly affronted at being referred to in such a way.

"I'm sure Malfoy can afford another pair," Draco heard Cedric mumble.

The girl looked back at Draco and smiled, making his heart flutter unexpectedly. "It was nice to meet you, er... Malfoy?" She said, looking quizzically between him and Cedric again.