103 - The Final Stand

"NO!"

I clung fearfully to Draco, terror filling every inch of me. It was over. We had lost the war and I couldn't bear to think what that would mean for our little family.

"Shhh, Aurora, it's okay," Draco soothed, trying to reassure me as he held me tightly to him, the fierce pounding in his chest telling me he wasn't as calm as he sounded. "Whatever happens, we stick together, okay? Even if it means pledging allegiance with him - we stay together. We need to do everything we can to keep Nova's future safe."

I nodded numbly, feeling more afraid than I'd ever felt in my life.

Slowly, we stood, thanking Chalky from the bottom of our hearts. A part of me wanted to stay down there forever but I couldn't rest until I was back with my daughter.

I couldn't believe Harry was dead. I had never allowed myself to think it could end like this; had refused to give up hope.

Draco held my hand tightly as we made our way up through the kitchens and headed tentatively across the devastated castle towards the large oaken front doors.

Everyone was gathered out on the steps, watching as black cloaked figures approached from the forest.

"Stay with me, Aurora," Draco murmured, pulling me protectively to his side, wrapping his arms fiercely around me.

We stood amongst the students as we watched a sobbing Hagrid carry Harry's body towards us.

I buried my head against Draco's chest, not being able to bear the sight. I was terrified.

Everyone around us started wailing when it became clear the body was in fact Harry's. And he was quite obviously dead.

Just like Fred. Just like Cedric.

A cold fear clung at my heart as I wondered who else's life had been taken.

"Draco!" A voice hissed from the mass of black cloaked figures as they came to halt in front of the castle.

Both Draco and I swivelled our heads to the source.

It was his father.

"Draco!" He hissed harder, his faced pinched furiously as he beckoned his son to join him.

I felt Draco stiffen, tightening his arms around me.

Everyone's eyes fell on us. All Lucius had done was draw attention to the fact that we were there. And the way Draco held onto me, I could tell he had no intention of letting me go.

"Come, Draco," Narcissa murmured, her face full of panicked fear.

Draco still did not move, his arms remaining around me protectively.

To my horror, Voldemort looked towards us.

"What is this?" He said coldly. "Do my eyes deceive me or do one of my followers stand on the wrong side?"

A wave of nausea swept through me; terror making me freeze on the spot.

"Go," I whispered fearfully. "Please, Draco, go before he kills you."

"Not without you." Draco said vehemently, not letting me go.

Panic swirled inside of me. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't think.

"Come on now, Draco," Voldemort said coldly as his lips pulled into a cruel smile. "I wouldn't do anything stupid if I were you. Bring the halfbreed if you must, I'm sure we can find use for her. After all, I have men that have certain needs needing to be met."