85 - Beauty Sleep

"They say the Diggory woman won't talk."

At his mother's words, Draco looked up from his bowl of soup, his spoon hovering in midair.

It was late and he was having supper with his mother after a busy and disturbing day.

To Draco's dismay, Voldemort had finally managed to take over the Ministry. It made him feel sick, knowing that it meant people like Aurora will have to go into hiding.

He hoped with everything he had that she and Nova were okay. He dreaded to think what would happen to them if they ever found them.

Especially with Aurora's mother alive and held prisoner, whilst Voldemort tried to get information out of her.

But the mother was surprisingly tough - endured all the torture that was thrown at her.

Draco couldn't understand where she'd been all these years, or how she had survived the Killing curse his father had thrown at her.

But he was afraid to ask questions, afraid to give anything away about the fact that he had married this woman's daughter and fathered her grandchild.

So he remained quiet and kept his head down.

"Oh," Draco replied, not knowing what to say as his mother eyed him warily.

"You loved her didn't you? The girl?" She said.

Draco merely nodded, knowing it was no use hiding anything from her. He felt his heart squeeze horribly in his chest.

"I'm sorry."

She said no more, but these two small words from his mother told him she truly understood. And that gave Draco a surprising degree of comfort.

A sudden commotion outside of the kitchen made Draco and his mother start.

"They're back," his mother said, standing up immediately as she swept to the door.

Draco followed, his heart hammering. There seemed to be lot of excitement going on.

"WE'VE GOT HER!"

"SOMEBODY CALL FOR HIM - WE'VE GOT HER!"

Draco wondered who on earth they talking about.

The excitement seemed to be coming from the drawing room. Draco and his mother hurried down the hallway where a mass of black cloaked figures started swarming outside the threshold of the room.

There was a lot of noise, excited chatter and sickening jeering.

And then a cry, a baby's cry.

"Spare her please! She's just a baby!"

The frightened, pleading voice made Draco's insides turn to liquid and black spots blind his vision.

Aurora.

Fear and adrenaline made him desperately push past the bodies; he needed to get to them. He needed to save them, now.

He finally managed to break through the sea of gathered Death Eaters and make it into the room. He bulked at the sight before him.

Aurora stood, fearfully clutching Nova tightly to her, her back up against the wall as Bellatrix pointed her wand directly at them.

"Talk, or these two die!" Bellatrix cackled, seemingly addressing a third figure.

Draco realised that Aurora's mother was also in the room, tied to a chair, looking barely conscious as her head lolled weakly forwards. There was no way she was in a fit state to talk.