94 - Do or Don't

We didn't have to cook - Blaise had left hampers in the kitchen all made up for each meal, including Nova's baby food.

"This reminds me of the day we got married," I smiled as I lifted my face up to the sun, letting the rays warm my face.

We were sat out in the little cottage garden; Draco, Nova and I on a picnic blanket which was laden with finger sandwiches and small colourful cakes.

Nova was in heaven, I had to keep holding her back as she tried to grab at everything; her eyes greedily on the cakes.

Draco watched on, chuckling in amusement. "You can't blame that one on me. I remember you being worried you wouldn't get your own cake on our fifteenth birthday."

"Blaise came to the rescue with that one too," I smiled, remembering fondly.

I managed to finally distract Nova with a set of plastic keys which amused her just long enough for Draco to lean in and brush his lips against mine before she threw them at our heads and started angrily wailing.

"I don't think she likes to share us," Draco said amusedly as he scooped her onto his lap, jiggling her about on his knee. "But Daddy loves both Mummy and you very, very much."

I laughed, as she giggled in glee, looking adoringly up into her daddy's face. A warm glow spread throughout me and I never wanted this moment to end. I could watch Draco with our daughter forever.

My heart grew heavier as the hours ticked by; going much too fast for my liking.

Together, Draco and I fed and bathed our daughter, ending with the three us snuggled up against the wall on the nursery floor whilst Draco read out loud a story from one of Nova's storybooks.

I almost didn't want to put her down, wanting our family time to never stop. But her little yawns said otherwise, and she settled down, exhausted in her cot.

"Come on," Draco whispered, wrapping an arm around me and kissing my head as I stared down at our sleeping cherub. "Let's leave her in peace. We'll still have the morning together."

We opened a bottle of wine and snuggled under a blanket on the sofa next to a roaring fire.

"You know, as much as I love Blaise for doing this," I murmured sadly as I stared at the flickering flames, "this is just going to make it harder to say goodbye."

Draco's arms tightened around me as he released an achingly heavy sigh.

"I know what you mean," he said quietly, his voice sad and solemn. "This has been all I've ever wanted for us; for you me and Nova to live happily together. But I'm so glad I got to do it, if only for a short time."

When we crawled into bed, it was with the heaviest of hearts. Our eyes never left one another as we made love; taking our time, savouring one another.

Afterwards, we both clung to one another and wept, knowing that would be the last time he would ever truly be mine.

*****

"It's time, son."

Draco looked at his father before racing to the bathroom and throwing up in the toilet.

He couldn't do this. Just the idea was making him ill. How could he go through with marrying a woman he hated? And in front of the woman he loved and their child?

The only saving grace is that he had married Aurora first. It would mean Pansy would never be his wife.

But it was a small consolation. Because he would still have to share a marital bed with her.