39 - Bro Talk

"What do you mean 'you're busy'?"

"I mean I'm busy, Draco." Aurora gritted, her eyes not leaving the book laying open on the desk before her.

Draco swallowed, he wasn't used to her being like this towards him.

"Are you still angry at me about the game? Because it wasn't my fau-"

"You deliberately provoked them!" She hissed, now tearing her eyes away from the book to glare up at him. "And you knew exactly what you were doing. So don't go playing the innocent victim. It's not going to wash with me, Draco."

"Miss Diggory, you obviously have something very important to say if it is interrupting your reading. Would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?"

Shit. Umbridge had paused by their desk, her eyes looking down maliciously at Aurora. Panic ripped through Draco's stomach. He could not allow her to go through another detention.

"Professor, sorry - that was my fault," he jumped in before Aurora could answer. "I was asking her a question about the chapter and she was just trying to explain."

"Oh, very well, then." Disappointment seemed to flash in her eyes at the missed opportunity to punish Aurora. She soon composed herself as she smiled brightly at Draco. "I received a lovely owl from your father, Draco. It's good to hear that the Malfoy's fully support my role in Hogwarts. This will not go un-noted."

"Of course, Professor," Draco said, trying but failing to keep the pompousness from his voice. "My father has always spoken highly of you."

He could feel Aurora's eyes on him, and had never felt more ashamed of his brown-nosing before. But he had to keep certain people on side and, as his father had reminded him time and time again - Umbridge was one of them.

"Please say you'll meet up with me after dinner," Draco begged, as they left the classroom half an hour later.

"I told you - I'm... busy." Aurora said, although this time she did sound at least regretful.

"I thought you were just mad. Look, I saved you in there, didn't I?" Draco snapped, feeling frustrated.

"Yes, that was really heroic, thank you." She bit sarcastically.

"Where are you going, then?" He asked her, trying to ignore the panic that was rising in his chest.

"Just a private study session with Hermione... and a few others."

"So in other words you're ditching me for the golden trio!" Draco hissed, anger boiling now.

"Don't be like that, Draco," she implored, reaching out to take his hand, "you're not being fair."

"Whatever," he sulked, snapping his hand away.

He felt too angry to say goodbye to her by the time they reached the Great Hall for dinner. Instead, he stormed straight off to the Slytherin table without a backwards glance.

"Trouble in paradise?"

Draco ignored Blaise as he angrily forked potatoes on to his plate.

"She'd rather hang out with saint bloody Potter than me!" Draco spat eventually, once he had sufficiently filled his plate.

"Dude, chill. No one likes a jealous boyfriend." Blaise chuckled, slapping his friend on the shoulder.

"As if you've got anything to be jealous about! At least your missus doesn't avoid being... alone with you." Draco muttered dryly.

It was true that ever since that night in the Prefects' Bathroom, they hadn't been anywhere near as intimate as that again. Draco was worried he had frightened her off. Blaise, on the overhand, heavily hinted that he and Cho Chang were going at it like rabbits.

"I take it you and her haven't...?"

Draco shook his head. "She's seems reluctant."

"Man, you're both still fifteen. Maybe stop pestering her about it and she'll be happy to be alone with you again."

"She told me only the other week she wanted to though. We even- she even..." Draco paused, looking around furtively to make sure no one was in hearing distance. Satisfied, he lowered his voice to a hush. "She got you, know - naked and stuff."

Blaise raised his eyebrows and clearly tried to suppress a snigger. "Dude, please tell me you didn't freak out after seeing the first pair of tits since your mother used to feed you as an infant?"

"I did not freak out!" Draco spluttered, nearly choking on his sausage. "She didn't want to go any further and I respected that!"

"Have you talked about... you know, protection?" Blaise murmured, lowering his voice a fraction. "Perhaps that's why she's reluctant man, doesn't want any accidents if you catch my drift?"

Draco had to admit that no, they hadn't talked about that. And he couldn't even think the word 'condom' without recalling the humiliating scene with Snape and the banana.

"Cho takes a potion. Just one drop a day and she's covered. I could get you some if you want. It might ease her mind, you know."

Draco's eyes lit up. Yes. That was probably what was worrying Aurora lately. If he could offer her some of this potion, she might feel better about taking things further.

As he agreed to Blaise's offer, Draco suddenly felt better than he had done in days.

...

"What is this room?" I breathed as we stepped through a door on the seventh floor which had magically appeared out of nowhere.

Harry, who had already been stood inside, beamed proudly at me. "Welcome to the Room of Requirement, Aurora. The Headquarters of Dumbledore's Army."

The room had been kitted out like some kind of battle training arena. I looked around in awe, until my eyes rested upon a sight that made a lump form instantly in my throat and my heart give a painful tug in my chest.

On the back wall, hundreds of photos of Cedric were blinking down at me; smiling. His eyes sparkled as they appeared to meet mine. My beautiful brother.

Tears pricked behind my eyes. I tried to swallow, but found I couldn't.

"It's who we're doing it for, Aurora. Cedric." Harry said gently, tentatively touching my arm as he stepped up beside me. "He would be proud of you choosing to join us. Of fighting for what is right."

I nodded, still unable to say anything due to my throat feeling constricted.

Harry seemed to understand, and stepped away to greet the other arrivals, giving me a moment alone.

It turned out to be amazing. I had to admit, Harry knew his stuff. By the end of my first session, I was able to successfully Disarm both Fred and George with just one flick of my wand.

It was late when we emerged from the Hidden Room. But I was high as a kite. Cho and I were laughing, skipping down the corridors towards Ravenclaw Tower, talking about all the things we had learnt that night.

I crawled into bed buzzing, but as I lay my head down on my pillow, I couldn't help but feel a nugget of fear.

It felt as if I'd just taken the first step away from Draco.