33 - Bad Influence

As soon as I stepped out of the Ravenclaw common room the next morning, I was startled by the sight of someone waiting for me.

"Hello, Aurora," Harry said, bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. "How was your first night in the Ravenclaw tower?"

"It was lovely, actually." I strained a smile, trying not to show my annoyance. It was clear he wanted to walk all the way down to breakfast together. It was a long way.

"So, I noticed you were acting quite cosy with Malfoy after the feast last night." Harry said with an air of false casualness as we started to make our way down the corridor.

"No offence Harry, but that really is none of your business."

"But it is when Ced-"

"Stop right there!" I said, grinding my feet to a halt and whirling round to face him. "Cedric had already died when he left you that request. For all you know it could have been a figment of your warped imagination!"

"But Malfoy is bad news! Why can't you see that? After everything we went through together over the summer I thought you'd understand how dangerous it is to be associated with him! You know he threatened me about Sirius? Said he'd be dogging my footsteps or something like that. And he is nothing but cruel to Hermione for being Muggle-born, as well as his disgusting treatment of the whole of Ron's family. Why would you want to date someone like that?"

I just stared at him, open mouthed. "If you must know, Harry, Draco would do anything for me. He has a kind side that you wouldn't know about because all you ever do is insist on seeing the worst in him. He is, without a doubt, not his father, and I know he'll never follow in his footsteps. Not as long as he loves me."

"Love?!" Harry spluttered, his eyes agog. "Oh please! You're fifteen years old! You just fancy him because he's good looking!"

"Are my ears burning?"

I looked up to see Fred and George approaching us down the corridor.

"Yeah, do tell, Harry!" George said, rubbing his hands together eagerly. "Who is this good looking chap you've got your eyes on?"

"We're talking about Draco," I said, gritting my teeth as I glared at Harry.

"Oh, that prat." Fred muttered darkly.

"She thinks they're in love." Harry scoffed.

"Oh, come on," George spluttered at me. "And I thought they put you in Ravenclaw because you were smart!"

I felt my cheeks flush angrily, irritation ripping through my stomach. "Look, I never asked you to walk with me," I spat at Harry. "And I certainly never asked for any of your opinions on Draco!"

"It's because we care about you, Aurora!" Fred called after me as I started to storm away. "He's only going to break your heart!"

...

Draco looked up from his breakfast as someone came thundering through the Great Hall doors, slamming them wide open in their wake.

His heart soared when he saw it was Aurora, but his elation quickly turned to concern when he registered the fury on her face.

"Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning." Blaise drawled as he lazily buttered his toast.

Draco watched curiously as Potter and the Weasley twins hurried in after her. Anger flickered in his chest as Potter grabbed Aurora's arm, forcing her to stop in her tracks.

"Let go of me!" She cried, trying to yank her arm back.

Draco didn't hesitate to throw his chair back and jump to his feet. He swiftly marched across the hall in long, furious strides, anger coursing through his veins.

"Get your fucking hands off of her, Potter!" He bellowed, feeling his entire body shake with anger.

Both Aurora and Potter looked up at him in alarm as Draco reached out and grabbed a fistful of the front of Potter's robes, violently pulling him away from Aurora.

Potter's glasses fell from his face and cluttered onto the floor. Draco couldn't help but stamp on them, feeling an immense tide of satisfaction rip through his body as they crunched beneath his foot.

"Next time I catch you touching her, that'll be your face." He snarled, before tossing Potter aside, so that he stumbled and fell sprawling to the floor.

Breathing heavily, Draco turned back to Aurora who was looking at him aghast, her brown eyes wide with horror.

"Draco - what?" She breathed, taking a step back from him.

"He was hurting you! I won't have it!" Draco spat, glaring back down at Potter, who was being helped up off the floor by the Weasley girl.

"You see," Potter, said picking up his smashed glasses and shaking them in his hand. "This is who Malfoy is. This is who you choose to date."

"Oh give it a rest, Potter." Draco snarled. "No one listens to you anyway, especially with your crackpot stories about what happened that night to Diggory!"

And with that, he grabbed Aurora's arm and pulled her away, over to the Ravenclaw table.

"Crackpot stories about Diggory?!" She spat at him, pulling her arm free once they'd reached the table. "What the hell, Draco?!"

Draco felt his face flame as he realised his blunder. "I'm sorry, but he just riles me up! I can't help myself!"

"I couldn't care less what you feel about Harry," she said shakily, her face full of hurt and anger, "but don't you dare drag my brother into your stupid petty arguments ever again!"

And to Draco's utter horror, he saw tears begin to roll down her cheeks as she threw herself down upon a seat, turning her back on him to face the table.

Feeling really shit, he tentatively took the seat next to her, and put his arm around her, feeling relieved when she didn't pull away.

"Aurora, I'm sorry, I really am. That was really shit of me." He murmured, pulling her to him so that she could cry on his shoulder.

"I found a message from him, last night." She sobbed, her voice muffled as she spoke into his neck through tears. "In the book he had given me for my birthday. It was as though it was written from the grave."

Draco didn't know what to say. So, instead, he tightened his arms around her and pressed his lips onto the top of her head, inhaling the wonderful scent of her shampoo.

"Mr Malfoy, I don't remember you being in my house!" Flitwick squeaked angrily, startling Draco.

He looked down at the tiny professor, who appeared to be handing out timetables. His beady little eyes flashed delightedly as they rested upon Aurora.

"Ah, Miss Diggory! Welcome, welcome. What a joy to have you in my house! Now here is your timetable, you only need ask if you any questions. Remember you are joining us in a very important year - OWLs! So I expect hard work at all times and no distractions."

Flitwick pointedly glared at Draco at this last part.

Draco rolled his eyes and sighed. He just couldn't understand why everyone was determined to think that he was bad for Aurora.

It was really beginning to piss him off.