58 - The Girl Who Was In Love With Ronald Weasley

Draco had finally managed to ditch his mother.

Looking around furtively, making sure he wasn't being watched, he crept to Knockturn Alley.

Focusing on the task ahead of him, he tried not to think about the pain his heart was in. Seeing Aurora had shaken him - how he had desperately wanted to hold her in his arms.

He literally ached with how much he missed her. It was killing him. He had no idea how he was going to be able to keep his distance from her when they returned to Hogwarts in a couple of weeks time.

But he'd have to try. For Aurora. He had to keep her safe.

And he wasn't safe anymore. Or available.

His heart gave a horrific twist as he recalled how she had looked so... ill. He felt a flicker of anger towards the Weasley's. They were supposed to be looking after her but she looked as though she hadn't eaten in weeks.

He paused suddenly, whirling around. He could have sworn he had heard something. But nobody was there.

Shrugging his shoulders, he continued on his way towards Borgin and Burke's.

He was just being jumpy. That's all.

*****

I sat shakily down on the chair next to me.

This couldn't be.

I was pregnant. With Draco's baby.

My hand flew instantly to my stomach. How could I have not known? I must have been at least six weeks, possibly longer.

"Aurora?" Fred asked, looking grave.

"I don't understand, I was told the potion was safe." I whispered.

"Oh, shit," George muttered.

Fred swiftly crossed the room to me, kneeling down beside me. "Aurora, you're not alone, okay? Whatever you decide to do you've got us. We'll be with you, always."

"Decide to do?" I repeated, blinking. I was in shock. I couldn't think straight.

"Yeah, you know," Fred nudged, "if you want to keep it or..." he tailed off, giving George a quick, panicked look.

"Aurora, you don't have to go through with it." George said, stepping in to save him. "We can make enquiries for you if you want? See if we can get it done quickly before you go back to school."

They were talking about killing my baby. And I knew I could no longer do that than I could drive a sword through Draco's heart.

"Aurora surely you don't want to keep it?" Fred gaped, horrorstruck. "Think about this, will you? You're carrying a Malfoy - the grandchild of the man who killed your mother!"

I covered my hands over my ears. I didn't want to hear it. What Fred didn't realise was that he was making it even more harder for me to agree to an abortion.

I was carrying Draco's baby. Mine and Draco's. A baby we made unintentionally - but still as a result of our love.

Hot tears sprang to my eyes. I was so desperate to see him, to have him hold me in his arms. I needed him so much.

Fred pulled me down off the chair onto his lap. I cried into his chest, wishing he was Draco.

"George go downstairs and tell Mum that Aurora's staying with us for the rest of the summer." Fred ordered, as he held me tightly to him. "Don't say anything else. And if she kicks off just lie and say she's in love with Ron and that it's too awkward for her to be there."

I stifled my sobbing for a second to give Fred an incredulous look. "Well rather Ron than our dad!" He spluttered.

"Right," said George, before disappearing down the stairs.

"I'll get George to make the spare room up for you." Fred said. "In the meantime, can you cook?"

I gave him another look as his face split into a wide grin. "Just kidding! Sorry, I like to use humour in situations like these. Not that I have ever found myself in this particular situation before - I hasten to add."

"Well me either, if it helps," I shrugged.

"Not really. But I find tea does. Would you like a cuppa?"

I nodded gratefully, getting up off his lap to allow him to stand. He gathered me in his arms, pulling me to him the instant he was on his feet.

"I mean it, Aurora," he murmured in my ear. "You're not alone. Let George and I help."

"Does he ever come in your shop?" I asked quietly, my mind still on Draco, my mind only ever on Draco.

"Malfoy in a joke shop?! Don't make me laugh!" Fred chuckled. "And as if he'd ever help line the pockets of a Weasley."

"He's not as bad as people think." I muttered. "He's just had a confusing upbringing. Being brought up by Lucius dripping poison in your ear by telling you that anything that isn't pureblood is disgusting is bound to make you a bit prejudice."

"You think he'll be a better dad than his own?" Fred asked, cocking a sceptical eyebrow.

"Of course," I said, breaking away from Fred to bring a hand to my still flat stomach. "I believe very much that he would."

Fred sighed, looking at me warily, before turning towards the kitchen. I walked over to the window and looked down at the street of people furtively looking around as they did their shopping as quickly as possible.

No one liked to be out in the open for long in times like these. It was bleak, it was miserable, and above all it was frightening.

I saw a familiar shock of white-blond hair in the distance. My heart stilled as I watched him stride along the street, coming further into view. He appeared to be looking over his shoulder, as if making sure he wasn't been followed.

I wondered how he had managed to finally escape his mother. She had seemed reluctant to let him go out alone.

As if sensing me staring, he halted in his tracks and lifted his head. Silver grey eyes pierced into mine making my breathing instantly accelerate. I placed a hand against the window as if I could reach down and touch him.

He looked sad. I felt sad. It was all just very, very sad.

******

His breath caught in his throat as he saw her standing there. Looking down from the window above that ridiculous shop, as if a mirage in a bleak desert.

He couldn't stop himself from just halting and staring. He swallowed as he took in her beauty.

Aurora. His girl.

Except she wasn't. Not anymore.

Not now that he was engaged to be married to someone else.