19 - Birthday Twins

"Happy birthday, Rory!"

Cedric greeted me with open arms as I stepped out of the cabin. He enveloped me in a bear hug and twirled me round and round, making me laugh with glee.

"Stop, Ced! I'm going to be sick!"

"It's been years since I've gotten to see you on your birthday!" He chuckled. "I wish you weren't getting so old, though."

"I'm fifteen - it's hardly old." I smiled, linking my arm in his as we strode towards the castle for breakfast.

But I knew exactly what he meant, by the dark expression crossing his face as we passed the Slytherin table in the Great Hall.

Happy birthday, I mouthed to Draco, not being able to help the smile tugging at my lips.

You too, he mouthed back, throwing me a discreet little wink.

My heart fluttered as we exchanged a sweet, furtive smile.

I just couldn't wait to see him properly.

Cho joined Cedric and I at the Hufflepuff table, planting a birthday kiss on my cheek as she passed me a small box of Honeydukes chocolates.

As we started helping ourselves to breakfast, Cedric slipped me a small, rectangular wrapped package.

It was a beautiful, red velvet, hard back copy of The Tales of Beedle The Bard. I ran my fingers along the gold embossed lettering.

"Mum used to read me a copy of this before she died," he explained softly, looking at me cautiously with a tenderness in his eyes. "I don't remember it too much, but Dad said I loved it. I know it's not much, but-"

"It's perfect, thank you," I whispered, my voice wobbling. I squeezed my eyes shut briefly as a wave of sadness washed over me.

"Hey - no tears. It's your birthday." Cedric murmured, wrapping an arm over my shoulders and kissing the top of my head.

Our family owl dropped a parcel of presents into my cereal bowl, slopping milk everywhere. It was from Dad, mostly practical things for school like a pencil case, but also a huge box of chocolates which delighted the Hufflepuffs to no end as I prised it open and shared them about.

"So, I was thinking we could ask the Hogwarts house elves to make you a birthday cake for tonight." Cedric said, chewing on a chocolate caramel.

"Oh." I blushed, wondering how I was going to explain this one. "I'm sort of... busy, tonight."

"Busy? Doing what?!" Cedric frowned. I suddenly felt really bad. He was obviously keen to help me celebrate my birthday.

"I'm going to a party."

"Party? What party?"

"Um, it's not just my birthday today, you see, and Blaise-"

"Not Zabini?!" Please don't tell me this is a Slytherin thing?"

"Well, it's going to be held in the Slytherin common room, if that's what you mean."

"Who else's birthday is it today?" Cedric asked, closing his eyes as if to give himself patience.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRACO, DUDE!"

A vein pulsed in Cedric's forehead as Blaise excitedly greeted his best friend.

"You have a wonderful time, Aurora," Cho said, placing a placating hand on my brother's arm. "Cedric and I were planning on taking a walk at some point anyway, so tonight will be perfect."