51 - The White Haired Monster

Thanks to Draco, we made it to the Ministry.

I felt so bad leaving him in the office. But I knew he did it for me, and I knew it had to look as if he'd been overpowered.

The Inquisitorial Squad didn't stand a chance against us. After all those DA lessons, Ginny, Ron, Luna, Neville and I took all of five seconds to successfully fly hexes and land every single one of them all out cold on the floor.

And even though he was unconscious - I knelt down by Draco and squeezed his fingers in mine, whispering a thank you before we left, praying he wouldn't get into any trouble.

The five of us caught up with Harry and Hermione in the Forbidden Forest who had managed to get rid of Umbridge, and after a flight on some Thestrals, we had arrived at our destination.

Harry was convinced that Sirius was being held by Voldemort in the Department of Mysteries - so that is where we headed.

After passing through a series of terrifying rooms that made us feel as though we were in some kind of game show, we finally made it to a place full of rows and rows of shelves containing dusty glass orbs.

"This is it," Harry said, as we made our way cautiously up the aisles, each of us holding out our wands at the ready.

But Sirius wasn't there. We all looked at Harry cautiously. He was repeatedly looking up and down the aisles, refusing to accept that we'd made a wasted journey.

However, just as we were watching Harry picking up a glass orb with his name on it, a cold, drawling voice rang out behind us, making us all freeze in fear.

"Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me."

We all wheeled round, coming face to face with a white-blond haired man I had already had the displeasure of meeting. Lucius Malfoy.

My blood went cold. Dozens more Death Eaters emerged behind him, grinning manically as they approached us, eyes glinting through slits in hoods and wand tips pointing directly at our hearts.

"To me, Potter," Lucius repeated, holding out his hand and beckoning towards the orb Harry still held.

"I want to know where Sirius is!" Harry barked, not making any attempt to hand it over.

"I want to know where Sirius is!" A woman with crazy black curly hair mimicked.

"He's not here," Lucius smirked, "The Dark Lord has tricked you. It's the prophecy he wants."

"The what?" Harry asked stupidly.

Lucius snarled beckoning towards the orb in Harry's hand.

But Harry point blank refused to hand it over. And it was clear they were reluctant to take it by force.

"Take the pretty girl." The woman Death Eater cackled. "I'm sure a bit of torturing will persuade him to hand it over."

Before I could work out who she was referring to, the woman reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards her.

"Don't touch her!" Harry yelled grappling for me a moment too late.

Fear clutched at my heart as Lucius looked down at me, recognition filling his pale grey eyes.

"Well, well, well," he drawled delightedly. "We meet again, Miss Diggory. Now tell me, how is that poor, poor father of yours?"

"You shut up about my father," I spat, anger making me forget my fear. He had been there. He had been there the night my brother was killed. I hated him.

"Feisty, aren't you? Just like that filthy creature of a mother of yours. She didn't know what was good for her, either."

My fear returned as he lifted his wand and flicked it. I gasped as a red hot searing pain cut through my left arm, and I looked down in horror to see a bright red gash, blood rapidly seeping my robes.

"No!" Harry yelled. And I felt the panicked shifting of the others as they moved closer together, their wands held up shakily.

The woman holding me started cackling manically, and Lucius lowered his wand, giving a disdainful sigh.

"Quiet now, Bellatrix." He drawled. "We've got some negotiating to do. Now, Potter. Hand it over or next time I do that across her heart."

"Don't do it, Harry!" I gasped, trying not to pass out from the pain in my arm.

"Do you hear this, Bellatrix?" Lucius said in a marvelled voice, his eyes studying me with interest. He leant towards me, lowering his voice to a menacing growl. "Your mother said something similar right before she died, too."

I looked back at him in horror. He saw my mother die? My heart twisted painfully in my chest as I stared into the face of the monster who had been implicated in two of my family member's deaths.

"The pathetic creature begged your father not to hand over the secret location of the Order." He continued, grinning evilly down at me as he saw what his words were doing to me. "It cost her her life. Your father just as good as killed your mother."

"No!" I cried, tears pouring down my face. "He would never!"

"If he had just handed it over, I wouldn't have had to flick my wand, and your dear mother would have still been alive to read you bedtime stories and kiss you goodnight."

It felt as if the world around me had come crashing down. Literally.

Glass orbs were scattering everywhere causing everyone to scream and start running for cover.

The hands that were restraining me were gone, and Lucius had jumped back, shielding his face from the glass.

"Come on, Aurora!" Ginny had grabbed my hand and started pulling me away.

I ran blindly behind her, ignoring the blinding pain in my arm, and ignoring the horror in my heart at Lucius Malfoy's cruel words.

Draco's father was the reason I had no mother.

*****

Draco frantically paced the office.

"Will you sit down!" Snape barked angrily.

Draco wheeled on him feeling furious. "How can I? What's going on with my father? Why isn't anyone telling me?!"

"I am trying to tell you, boy! As you know, he was caught earlier tonight at the Ministry. Seeing as he was in Death Eater attire when they captured him, I'm guessing he'll be sent straight to Azkaban while he awaits trial."

Draco felt panicked. This was not good. This was terrible, in fact. He knew his family would surely be punished for this.

"But why? How?" Draco spluttered. He felt fretful for his mother all of a sudden.

Snape sighed heavily, gesturing once again to the chair in front of him. Draco moodily sat down, resenting being treated like a child.

"Potter and his friends." Snape began.

Potter? Horror filled Draco as he realised what this meant. It had been him who had helped them escape. It had been him who told Aurora to hex him.

Draco had helped them get to the Ministry and get his father locked up in Azkaban.

Fury ripped through his stomach. Anger coursed through him in a way he had never thought possible.

This was nothing compared to the anger he had experienced when he found out Potter had kissed his girl.

This was on another level. And he was fucking fuming.