100 - Out of the Fire

The screaming stopped and Draco's heart was in his mouth. He couldn't see a way around the wall of flames in front of him and no magic seemed to be working against it.

Knowing he needed to get to Aurora quickly, he did the only thing he could think of doing. Bracing himself, he ran as fast as he could through the fire.

The heat that hit him was indescribable. But he didn't care. He needed to get to her. That's all that mattered to him. It was his sodding fault she was in there after all.

Miraculously, the flames didn't catch to him. Blaise came pelting through behind him, and at once it was clear to them where Aurora was.

Out of the bottom of a huge fallen pile of desks and chairs, a hand stuck out, laying limp.

"Aurora!" Draco cried, rushing over and started tossing aside furniture almost at once.

But so much of it had already caught fire and he was afraid he wouldn't get to her in time.

"Stand back, man!" Blaise ordered, pointing his wand at the pile.

Draco moved back, but only enough so that he could clasp hold of Aurora's limp hand. He couldn't bear the fact that she was on her own in there. And he was terrified that they were already too late.

"Hang in there, baby," he murmured, squeezing her fingers, "we're going to get you out."

Blaise cast a spell that blasted the pile of furniture aside, Draco covered his head with one arm as splinters of wood rained down upon him but he never let go of Aurora.

As soon as the dust settled, he could make out the rest of her. Diving forward, he removed the last pieces of furniture pinning her down and pulled her unconscious body into his arms.

"Aurora," he breathed, holding her tightly to him. Relief flooded him as he could still feel her heartbeat, and she seemed to be breathing, albeit extremely shallowly.

"We need to get out, NOW!" Blaise choked through the smoke which was now as thick as anything.

But as they looked around, the flames were higher and fiercer than ever, surrounding them completely, slowly closing in.

"Shit!" Draco cursed. He couldn't see how they would ever get out of this. He clung Aurora tightly to him, trying to shield her as much as possible.

"Draco," she coughed, coming to. "What-"

"Shhh," he soothed her, trying to hide his utter fear and panic. He cupped her face, bringing it up close to his. "I love you, Aurora. I'm so sorry."

He closed his eyes, resting his forehead against hers.

"GRAB ON!"

Draco looked up to see Potter flying down towards them on a broom, his hand outstretched towards them.

He had never been so glad to see that twat in all his life.

"Take Aurora!" Draco cried without hesitation, jumping to his feet. Blaise helped him hoist her up behind Harry, but she kept losing consciousness and was unable to hold on.

"Get on with her, man," Blaise instructed.

"No, you!" Draco bellowed. "Leave me, it's my fault we're all here in the first place."

"RON'S COMING ON ANOTHER BROOM!" Harry roared over the flames, "NOW HURRY THE FUCK UP BEFORE WE ALL DIE!"

Draco leapt on behind Aurora, holding onto her fiercely as Potter took off again. He looked behind him with relief as he saw Granger help Blaise clamber onto Weasley's broom.

Draco held onto both the broom and Aurora with everything he had as Potter steered them through the flaming room.

Relief flooded him as he saw the door up ahead. But for some reason, Potter changed course.

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING POTTER?!" Draco yelled in his ear. "THE DOOR IS OVER THERE!"

But Potter ignored him and continued along his new flight path; down towards the flames which licked dangerously at their ankles.

Draco clung onto Aurora, trying so hard to protect her from the surrounding flames and smoke. He feared she wouldn't survive much longer unless she got some air right away.

Potter seemed to grab some kind of crown before finally heading back for the door.

They crashed into the corridor, rolling onto the floor, with Draco keeping a tight hold on Aurora as he took in great big lungfuls of air.

"Baby, wake up!" He cried, as he pulled Aurora back onto his lap.

But she lay as limp as a rag doll, and to his horror, he could no longer feel or see her breathing.

"Fuck!" He cried, as he found himself hyperventilating in terror. His hand shook as he tried desperately to locate a pulse along her neck.

Blaise, who had already gotten out safely with Weasley and Granger, pushed him aside and lay Aurora on her back.

Draco watched as he withdrew his wand and pointed it at her throat. He muttered an incantation Draco neither knew nor recognised.

Please, Aurora, he silently begged as tears rolled down his cheeks. Don't die, please.

And then all at once, her whole body convulsed as she took in a great big shuddering breath.

Draco threw himself down upon her, crying in complete delirious relief.

"Draco," she choked, pulling her arms up around him.

"I love you, Aurora," Draco sighed, kissing her face, "I love you so fucking much."

He pulled her up to a sitting position and cradled her onto his lap, holding her close and not wanting to let her go ever again.

"You scared us then, Aurora," Blaise chuckled, propping himself up next to them against the wall.

"Goyle," she rasped, still struggling to speak properly as she clung tightly to Draco. "He threw me. He- he-"

"Is hopefully fucking dead," Draco growled angrily. If he wasn't, he soon would be.

Draco looked around him. Potter, Weasley and Granger were slumped against the wall opposite them, panting slightly as they recovered themselves.

Potter's eyes met his and Draco couldn't help but give him a curt nod. It was the best he could do to thank him.

Before any of them could say anything to one another, a commotion at the far end of the corridor caught their attention.

Two of the Weasley brothers had come into view, both duelling with Death Eaters.

The golden trio immediately jumped to their feet and started running towards them.

"Fred," Aurora panted, still struggling to breathe, "we should go and help-"

But she never got to finish her sentence; for the air had exploded around them.