56 - Sick... with Worry

I blearily opened my eyes, looking around Fred and George's old room which was now mine for the summer. The smell of bacon drifted up from downstairs, and I wrinkled my nose, feeling too sad to eat.

My thoughts went straight to Draco and my stomach knotted uneasily as I wondered how it was for him being back home without his father there. It had only been a week since we parted at Kings Cross station, but it felt like forever ago.

A gentle knock at the bedroom door interrupted my thoughts as Molly poked her head inside.

"Breakfast is ready, my dear!" She said cheerily as she greeted me with a warm smile.

"I'm sorry, I'm not hungry," I mumbled sleepily. And I really wasn't, as the mere thought of eating made my stomach swirl uncomfortably.

Molly frowned, looking down at me. "Yes, you do look a bit peaky, my dear. I'll bring you up a nice hot mug of chamomile tea. That should perk you up."

Her head disappeared as the door closed behind her. I slowly sat up, looking hopefully at the window for a sign of Draco's owl. His last letter wasn't very informative - just him telling me that he missed me and to keep my promise to stay safe. He mentioned nothing about his mother, or about his home life, whatsoever. I had immediately replied, sending my letter back with his owl, but that was three days ago now, and I hadn't heard a thing back.

It was making me feel sick with worry.

But I had to believe he was okay.

As the days went on, The Burrow got very crowded very quickly. Both Harry and Hermione turned up, and as another surprise - so did Fleur.

"Bill and I are going to be married!" She gushed as her arms wrapped around me in greeting.

She looked so happy it made my heart twist in sadness.

That very morning that she had arrived, I had finally received an owl from Draco after an entire week of silence.

Aurora, it's too dangerous for you to write anymore. Don't reply to this. Stay safe. I love you. Draco.

Nothing else. His scrawl had seemed rushed; hurried.

The constant knot inside my stomach tightened. I longed to see him again; to feel the reassuring beat of his heart as I lay my head down upon his chest; to feel the snaking of his arms around my body, making me feel safe and secure.

I found myself running to the bathroom where I reached the toilet just in time as the vomit left me.

The fear was crippling me.

*****

Draco stared at his mother. His heart pounded furiously in his chest.

"Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke?"

"Do I look like I'm joking, Draco? It's what the Dark Lord has ordered."

"I won't do it mother. Is it not already enough what I've been tasked?!"

"If you don't agree then we'll all be killed!"

Draco wanted to kick something. He couldn't do this. He thought about Aurora and he felt a cold horror fill his heart. He'd only just got her back and now he was going to lose her all over again.

Only this time for good.

*****

Diagon Alley was a shell of its former self.

I looked around in horror as the shops that had once been lively were now sat derelict and empty.

I clutched Ginny's arm suddenly feeling the ground swaying beneath me.