20 - The Fall (part one)

Maybe I'm broken
Maybe I'm wrong
I could've spoken sooner than I should have
Only the good die old
That's what they told me
But I don't know

...

"Dad?!"

I squinted, looking up at the beaming figure stood next to Cedric outside the castle doors.

It was a Saturday, on the twenty fourth day of June. The last day of the Triwizard Tournament. I had just stepped out of the carriage to head to the castle for a late breakfast, an uneasy feeling already in my stomach, anxious about Cedric and the third task.

"Come and give your old man a hug!" Dad roared, holding out his arms.

I didn't need asking twice. I pelted at full speed towards him, ran up the stone steps as fast as I could and threw myself hard into his arms.

"I didn't know you were coming! Ced never said!" I gasped, as I let go of my dad to playfully squeeze my brother's arm.

"I'm not going to miss my boy beating Harry Potter for the world!"

Just as he said this, Harry had stepped out of the castle doors, followed by a plump woman, who looked like the Weasley mother, and Bill, who I recognised from the Quidditch World Cup.

"Dad!" Cedric hissed. "You need to stop staying stuff like that!"

"What? It's true though! You're a million times the man he is!" Dad bellowed indignantly, glaring at Harry as he passed by. "The cheating little scoundrel!"

I turned to Harry in horror, giving him my best apologetic look.

"Ignore him, Harry," the Weasley mother barked, giving Dad a steely stare. "Amos is just sore because you took the limelight off of his son for being a Hogwarts champion too."

"He tricked the Goblet!" Dad roared, his face turning puce with rage. "He should have been disqualified!"

"Ced! Do something!" I hissed up at my brother, wishing the ground would just swallow me whole.

"Dad, just stop right now, or I'll forfeit my place in the third task tonight."

That shut him up.

We spent the morning walking Dad around the grounds, with both Dad and Cedric swapping stories of their adventures in various places as we passed them. I decided to keep quiet about mine, seeing as they all involved Draco sticking his tongue down my throat.

We joined the Delacour's for lunch at the Hufflepuff table, tucking into Cornish pasties and swilling down pumpkin juice.

"Vot is zees crap?" Fleur scoffed, wrinkling up her nose in disgust as she looked at the table's offering of food.

"I promise you, it tastes better than it looks." Bill Weasley said, leaning over from the Gryffindor table behind and wiggling his eyebrows at her. "Whereas I bet you taste just as good as you look."

Fleur giggled and her cheeks flushed pink. Cedric and I exchanged a look and we both tried not to burst into giggles ourselves.