34 - Umbitch

Professor Umbridge was quite the one.

She was already sat behind the desk wearing her vulgar fluffy pink cardigan when I entered the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom for the first time. Late.

"Ah, Miss Diggory, so nice of you to feel that you could join us, after all," she tittered in a sweet, sickly voice.

"Uh- sorry," I blushed, trying not to look at the sea of faces staring up at me. "I lost my way."

"Well, take a seat girl. Chip chop."

I gulped, looking around trying desperately to locate an empty chair. My heart lightened to see Draco in the class, but sadly he was already seated next to Blaise. They both looked at me apologetically.

"I believe Miss Granger here is lacking a companion." Umbridge pointed out, that creepy smile still fixed upon her face.

I heard Draco snort and mutter something about 'Mudblood' as I went to take my seat beside her at the front of the class.

"Now, as I was saying before our little interruption," she paused as her warty eyes darted pointedly to me, "I should like you to read 'Chapter One, Basics for Beginners' of your copy of Defensive Magical Theory. There will be no need to talk."

I quickly pulled my book out from my bag as the sound of disdainful sighs and turning of pages ensued.

As I flicked to the first chapter and started to read, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, that Hermione's own copy was laying on the desk in front of her, unopened.

And not only that, she had her hand in the air which Umbridge was determinedly ignoring.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Umbridge eventually asked when it was clear that Hermione's hand was going nowhere.

"Not about the chapter, no," Hermione answered.

"Well, we're reading just now," Umbridge bristled. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"Surely we need to be practising defensive spells?" Hermione went on, ignoring her. "We're not going to learn anything from reading this rubbish."

The whole room gasped. Hermione Granger was not only ignoring a professor's instructions, but dissing a book, too!

"Miss Granger, as long as you read the material and study the theory hard enough, there is no reason you won't be able to perform defensive spells under carefully controlled examination conditions."

There was uproar. People shouting how ludicrous it was that we couldn't practice with our wands beforehand. I snuck a quick look over my shoulder to catch a peek at Draco. He was just sitting coolly at the back of the classroom with a smirk across his face, looking as though he was enjoying the commotion.

When he noticed me looking, he gave me a little wink. His silver grey eyes glinting wickedly.

"How in the fuck's name is studying a stupid theory going to prepare us for what's waiting for us out there?" Harry bellowed from the desk beside me.

A few students giggled nervously at his brave use of colourful language in front of a professor.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" Umbridge enquired, cocking her head slightly to the side as she studied Harry with interest.

"Hmm, let's think..." Harry said in a mock thoughtful voice, theatrically tapping his finger against his chin. "Maybe... I don't know, how about LORD FUCKING VOLDEMORT!"