59 - Engagement Party

I lay in bed looking down in awe at my stomach. To think that there was a baby in there was mind blowing.

My baby. Our baby.

I would have a family again. My very own family. I cried as I thought about Cedric. I missed him so much. He would never get to be an uncle.

"Is your sickness still playing up?" Fred asked, poking his head around the door. I realised I must have been sobbing out loud.

I nodded, wiping my face. Although somehow my sickness didn't feel as bad now I knew what was causing it.

Fred placed a mug of steaming tea by my bed. He sat on the edge and tenderly stroked my hair.

"People are going to know soon enough," he said gently. "Have you thought about what you're going to tell people at school?"

I knew what he meant. Will I tell them that it's Draco's?

"I don't know, Fred. I can't get my head around any of this. I need to see Draco."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just worried for you, Aurora. If you want - and this is just a suggestion - I don't mind if you tell people it's mine."

I blinked up at him in shock. I was not expecting this at all.

"Fred, I can't do that. That's not fair on you or Draco."

"This is not an ordinary situation Aurora. Believe it or not this may actually protect him. And especially you and your baby. Malfoy's father is a Death Eater, Aurora. And one that You-Know-Who is probably pretty pissed off with right now."

"Please, I just can't think right now," I sobbed. Fred wrapped his arms around me and I scooched over so that he could lay next to me.

"Just think about it. You don't need to decide yet, but you will be showing one day and people will ask questions or come to their own conclusions which could be dangerous for you."

"I love you, Fred. You and George. You have both been so kind to me."

He planted a kiss upon my forehead. "And we love you. Now drink up and don't get up until you feel better. There's a nutritious vegetable soup on the stove waiting for you for when you're up to it."

He moved off the bed getting to his feet. I smiled a thanks at him before he disappeared.

I spent the last two weeks of the holidays holed up in the flat.

Most of the time I would just watch the world go by out of the window, always hoping to catch a glimpse of the white-blond hair. But I never saw him again.

I constantly touched my stomach, marvelling at the miracle that was growing inside of me.

Yes, I was frightened. Extremely frightened. But somehow I felt less alone, less sad. I had a piece of Draco inside of me creating more love than I could ever have imagined.

I tried not to think about how Draco would take the news. I had this little fantasy that the three of us would all live together in Devon, bringing life back into the little cottage by the sea where Cedric and I had once played together as children.

It was far fetched and unlikely. But it was a nice dream.

Especially as I knew Fred was right. I had to protect us. Draco, our baby and me. I had to protect our family.

*****

"Hurry up, Aurora! We're going to be late!"

"Sorry," I panted, pulling my trunk out of my bedroom.

George grabbed it from me immediately, scolding as he did so. "I keep telling you, you need to let us do all the heavy lifting."

Fred was already waiting in the Muggle car outside the Leaky Cauldron. He had hired it especially for today.

I was feeling so apprehensive about seeing Draco again. I had no idea what to expect. How he would be. If he would even acknowledge me.

"Don't forget to owl us if you need anything." Fred reminded me as he drove us to Kings Cross station. "And I mean anything - even if it's for an ice lolly at three in the morning. We'll be driving the ice cream van to you personally."

"I love you guys," I grinned. "I honestly couldn't have gotten through these last two weeks without you."

"I'm just sorry we can't be there for you at Hogwarts." George said darkly. "It's not going to be an easy ride for you. Just make sure you don't listen to any haters."

"Yeah, anyone gives you stick, give me their names and I'll send them a box of Ton-Tongue Toffee disguised as a box of chocolates." Fred said. "That'll shut them up."

My heart hammered as the twins helped me get through the crowds, making sure no one bustled into me as they carried my luggage. I kept glancing out for Draco but I had no luck.

Fred and George both hugged me goodbye after stowing my luggage on the train. I held onto Fred a little longer.

"Have you thought about what I said?" He asked, looking at me meaningfully.

I nodded. "I need to talk to Draco. He deserves to know the truth. And if he agrees, I will. And if you are sure you don't mind."

"I wouldn't have offered otherwise." Fred smiled before it dropped. "Just tread carefully with Malfoy. I get you want to tell him the truth, but just bear in mind he might not take the news well."

He planted a fierce kiss on my forehead and made me promise to look after myself.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I waved them goodbye. I was going to miss them.

Taking a deep breath, I wandered up the train corridor, hoping to find Cho. Or even Draco. I wondered what the chances were that I could get him alone on the train. I was desperate to tell him about the baby. But also afraid. Afraid he would be mad that I had somehow tricked him. I just couldn't understand how the potion hadn't worked.

I was halfway up the corridor when I heard a loud cackle and a hoot coming from the compartment just up ahead.

It sounded like some sort of party was going on.

I looked in the window as I drew up beside it. The large compartment was crowded with green robes, and they were all stood up as if gathered around something.

The door suddenly opened and I was told to fuck off by a bodiless voice. I went to move on but then I heard a familiar shriek.

"Did someone say Diggory?! Oh please let her come in and see what we're celebrating!"

Curious, I turned back and peered inside the compartment as the gathered parted, revealing Pansy. She was beaming at me wearing the most wickedest grin on her face, wriggling the fingers on her left hand. A great big diamond flashed at me.

"I just got engaged." She tittered. "Want to congratulate us?"

I raised my eyebrows wondering just who would want to marry that.

"Come here, darling," she called to someone in the crowd behind her. "I think you'll be interested to see who our latest well wisher is."

And out she dragged Draco, whose eyes met mine in a horror that matched my own.

"Aurora," he breathed, as I shook my head from side to side, not believing this was happening. "I- I was going to tell you."

"Oh, but this way is much better!" Pansy laughed, snaking her arm around his waist and standing on tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

Draco wrenched himself away from her as he stepped towards me.

But I took a step back at the same time as Pansy screeched, "Don't you dare!"

Draco froze, looking back from me to Pansy.

I made it easy for him.

I left.