92 - Back to the Manor

"Aurora, you must understand that if the Dark Lord will be expecting you there, then you really have no other option."

I looked at the greasy haired headmaster before me in horror. He had summoned me into the office to let me know that I was to spend the entire Easter holiday at Malfoy Manor.

There was no avoiding the wedding.

"And am I going to be staying there as a guest or a prisoner this time?" I asked, completely flummoxed by this whole crazy situation.

"A room will be made up for you." Snape barked. "I suggest you act grateful, Aurora. It is most unusual for the Dark Lord not to punish those that have previously escaped him."

"And you don't think that watching the man I love marry someone else is not punishment enough?" I cried, feeling my heart twist horrendously.

But I would get to be reunited with my daughter, even if it was at the cost of watching Draco surrendering his life to Pansy.

The thought filled me with a mixture of apprehension and fear.

"I'm going to be like a stranger to her," I sobbed, as Draco held me in his arms.

I was spending every night with him now, trying to push away the horror of what that room would eventually become and making the most of the time we had left together.

The clock was ticking and my heart was breaking.

"Of course she'll remember you, you're her mother." He assured me, kissing my hair and holding me close.

"I didn't remember mine."

"This is different," he implored, "it's only been six months, Aurora."

"It's more than half her life!"

Draco just looked down at me sadly not knowing what else to say.

And it didn't help that I had Pansy constantly goading in my ear about her upcoming marriage to my husband.

"I've got my underwear sorted for my wedding night," she announced loudly to no one in particular as she passed the Ravenclaw table on the last day term. "It's doing to drive Drakie absolutely nuts!"

"Ignore her," Cho gritted, squeezing my hand. "Draco won't want to her touch her with a barge pole."

"But he's going to have to, isn't he? It's been made pretty clear what's going to happen if Draco doesn't perform his husbandly duties. Nova's life could be in danger."

"Then take her away," Cho said simply, "put her into proper hiding, away from that dreadful place."

"And then he will kill Draco." I choked, the idea of his death more horrendous than the thought of him sleeping with someone else.

"Draco is being used as a puppet, and one day so will Nova if she stays there. Do you really want that for her? To be forced into marriage and sex she doesn't want? What they're doing to Draco is as good as rape. Don't let your daughter suffer the same fate."

It gave me food for thought. But I didn't know where I could take her. And the idea of abandoning Draco to leave him to his potential death frightened the life out of me.

In the meantime, it looked as though I was stuck having to attend Malfoy Manor.

I travelled back on the Hogwarts Express with Cho, Blaise and Neville. All four of us morose. Neville heartbroken at Luna's continued disappearance, Cho and Blaise fearful about being parted for two weeks, and myself sickened at the thought of what I was about to endure.

"I'll be there, on the day, Aurora," Blaise assured me, "you won't be alone."

It was a small, appreciated gesture.

The one saving grace was that Pansy wasn't going back to Malfoy Manor with us. It did mean that I had to endure seeing her give Draco a goodbye kiss on platform nine and three quarters, however.

"Next time we see one another it'll be the day we finally become one!" She cried, flinging her arms around his neck and smacking her lips hard up against his.

I watched as he stiffened, trying to yank her off of him. "Goodbye, Pansy," He gritted, his eyes darting guiltily past Pansy's shoulder towards where I stood, waiting.

She let out a loud giggle and skipped off, leaving Draco and I to look sadly upon one another.

"The car's out the front," Draco said, beckoning for me to follow him.

"This is hurting me so much," I said as we pushed our way through the crowds. "I can't bear to see her touch you. How am I supposed to watch you exchange wedding vows and then lie in your house knowing she expects you to consummate your marriage?"

"I'd do anything not to have to put you through this, Aurora." Draco growled, giving my fingers a secretive squeeze. "You must know."

"If it wasn't for Nova, I wouldn't be doing this." I breathed, knowing that seeing my baby again was the only thing stopping me from running away.

We finally arrived at a large black car, where a driver immediately got out and opened the door for us, beckoning me in first.

"I love you," Draco murmured quietly, eyeing the driver nervously as we sped out of London into the countryside.

And as the car turned up the huge driveway towards the dark looming building he called home, Draco reached out his right hand and brushed his fingers over the back of mine ever so lightly.

I looked down to see the wedding ring which he still wore and felt the silent tears fall down my cheeks.