80 - The Day It All Came Crashing Down

There wasn't much time left.

In the weeks approaching summer, as the school year started to draw to an end, Draco nearly killed himself from exhaustion.

The owls had come in thick and fast from his mother, frantic with worry about Draco's task, informing him that Lord Voldemort was growing more impatient by the day, questioning why it was taking him so long.

And when Draco wasn't determinedly working on trying to fix the cabinet, he was with Aurora, teaching her Occlumency.

"You may not ever need it," he had told her, desperate to prepare her as best as he could to help keep her safe. "But just in case it comes to it, you'll know how to close your mind."

She had agreed without question, understanding the potentially dangerous situation they had put themselves in by getting married.

In the rare moments between classes, the Requirement of Room and Occlumency; Draco would just sit exhaustedly in Aurora and Nova's room - being with them, watching them, memorising them - trying to burn every inch of them into his mind.

He loved to just watch Aurora feed their child, loving the way it made him feel; causing a kind of fierce instinctive animal urge to protect them.

And protect them he would.

Even if it meant breaking his own heart.

Even if it meant he could never be with them again.

*****

I was worried sick about Draco.

His appearance was haunting. His cheeks pale and gaunt; his eyes sunken and tired; his frame thin and fatigued.

I never pressured him into telling me what was going on; knowing that if he could, he would.

Instead I just held him; never questioned why some nights he wept as he lay in my arms just sobbing. I told him I loved him everyday, reassured him that Nova and I would be there for him - always, no matter what.

And then came the day that it all came crashing down; splintering and raining around us; shattering my heart and destroying our world.

It wasn't unusual to catch him staring. He did that a lot in those last weeks of school. His eyes would be full of sadness and love, as if his heart was already breaking. And looking back, I could see that it probably had been.

Because he had been preparing himself to say goodbye.

On that particular day - the last day of June - I had woken up to him staring down at me; his eyes red rimmed as if he'd been recently crying.

"Draco?"

I immediately placed a hand to his cheek, tenderly cupping it beneath my trembling fingers. "Draco, what's wrong?"

I couldn't not ask, because quite clearly something had happened. Something bad.

But he just shook his head, releasing a shuddering sigh that made his whole body tremble.

"Nothing," he choked, closing his eyes as if trying to block out some kind of pain.

A sick, heavy feeling dropped into the pit of my stomach, which I carried around with me for the rest of the day. I couldn't concentrate in class, my thoughts only on Draco, my eyes constantly searching him out, the sick, heavy feeling growing as it was clear from his face that he was a million miles somewhere else, somewhere bad.

He came by the room after dinner, scooping up Nova in his arms, pressing his lips firmly against her soft pudgy skin and holding her tightly to him.

My fear only intensified as I watched silent tears fall down his face, splashing onto her little body as he gazed intently down at her.

"Draco, please, you're scaring me," I trembled, fear now grappling at my throat, turning my chest to lead.

"Promise me you'll tell her about me," he wept, "when she's older, tell her how much I loved her."

I felt as though someone had pulled the rug out from under me, and I was falling down; limbs flailing everywhere.

"Draco, why are you talking like this?" I cried, as panic made sweat bead in my palms and my heart race horribly in my chest.

He didn't answer, but instead, placed Nova back in her cot before leaning down to kiss her once more on the top of her head.

He turned to face me, his eyes full of pain and sadness. He hastily wiped the tears from his face with the back of his hand and then looked at me with a renewed, determined look in his eyes.

"Aurora, I need you to promise me that after I leave this room tonight, you must stay in here. Stay here with our daughter and keep your wand on you at all times. If anyone tries to force their way in then take Nova and lock yourself in the bathroom to give yourselves more time."

"D-Draco," I couldn't breathe, panic was literally choking me. My hands flew to my throat as I gasped for breath.

Draco swiftly strode to me, closing the gap between us and wrapped his arms around me, gathering me tightly to his chest.

"Promise me, Aurora," he implored, burying his face in my hair.

"I- I promise, but Draco, why-"

"I love you," he interrupted, sobbing again, "Aurora, I love you so much, please never forget that."

His hands grabbed my face, tilting my head up as he kissed me hard; harder than he had ever done in his life.

And then he turned and left.

*****

Marrying her had been his parting gift.

It meant that she knew, that whatever happens, he would always be hers.

He was Aurora's and nobody else's.

With a heavy heart, he stepped into the Room of Requirement and opened up the doors of hell.