Chapter XVI

Jennie's POV

Nagising na ako dahil sa malakas na tunog ng alarm clock sa cellphone ko.

Pinatay ko ito agad, takot na baka magising ang mga kapatid ko ng ganto kaaga.

It's 3 o'clock in the morning. Sinadya ko talagang gumising ng maaga dahil ayokong magalit si Lisa sakin. I promised that I'll be there before she woke up. Bago mag-6 am nagigising na siya. So I better go there before 6.

Nagsimula na akong gawin ang mga dapat kong gawin: ligo, bihis, luto, kain, ligpit etc.

Nagising ko na rin ang mga kapatid ko dahil may pasok pa sila.

Aalis na sana ako ng pigilan ako ni Mama.

"Jennie anak. Pwede bang ihatid mo muna ang mga kapatid mo sa school? Kailangan daw kasi kausapin ng personal ng Teacher nila ang guardian nila. Maaga akong aalis ngayon kaya hindi ako makakapunta."

Pasimple kong tinignan ang oras.

Maaga pa. Aabot pa ako.

Humarap ako kay Mama at ngumiti. "Okay, Ma."

- - -

Lisa's POV

I woke up by the light of the sun.

I turned my back to the window and grabbed my pillow to sleep again. But after a few minutes, I can't bring myself back to a deep sleep. I stood up and went to the bathroom to do my morning routine. When I went out of the bathroom, my eyes are searching for someone.

She promised that she would be here before I woke up.

I sat again on my bed. My eyes unconsciously look at the clock on my side table. It's already 6:27 in the morning. She's late.

My hand suddenly formed into a fist.

She broke her promise. She's just like her. I shouldn't trust anyone. Says my mind.

But my heart contradicts it. Maybe she got in into a little emergency. I know she has a valid reason to be this late for the first time in one month.

I took a deep sigh as I close my eyes. I opened it when I heard someone opening the door of my room slowly. Like she's afraid to woke me up. I'm just staring blankly at the door. Then my eyes caught hers.

"L-lisa? You're a-awake." Jennie stuttered as she turns her back to me to close the door.

I didn't answer her. I'm just staring at her every move.

She turned around again to face me then walks toward my direction. She looked at me with her apologetic eyes and smile faintly.

"I'm sorry, Lisa." She tried to touch my cheek but I quickly moved away and lie down again.

I turn my back to her, facing the window.

I felt a movement on the bed, showing that Jennie sat down on the bed. She lie down and hug me from behind. She put her head on my shoulder. Her hand stroking my arm.

"Lisa? Come on, face me. I'm really sorry. Something came up. My mom asked me to bring my siblings to school earlier because the teacher wants to talk to one of the kids' guardians for the school's upcoming event. I can't say no to her and besides, I won't allow my siblings to go to school on their own. They are still my babies. I'm sorry, Lisa." She explained and hugged me even more tightly.

Lisa. You should be mad. She broke her damn promised to you! She's just like her! She already broke one promise and it won't be the last time she's doing it! Says my mind again.